Shifting Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifting Questions

I have a 80 1100E with a heavy duty clutch. I mean it has heavy duty springs. Before I had the clutch adjusted I had to replace the cable several times. My question is dose it hurt anything if I shift with out the clutch? It shifts fine up and down and I always reduce the throtle before shifting.

The Beast :twisted:

I do it, always have, as long as you're within the correct RPM for whatever gear ratio(or you'll bend a shift fork).... I also have had the same issues with the HD springs,(not cable breaking though, just too heavy) I went back to the stock springs with Barnett kevlar discs. Some racers change every other spring to a different rate(or remove entirely for drag race launching) for the inbetween area of pull. Do you lube the cable with a luber tool.... it clamps over the cable end and you can attach the red straw from an aerosol can of your choice of cleaner and lube.

Comment

I have not lubed the cables before. I don't get a chance before they break. Since I adjusted it I have ridden all year on the same cable and not even one fray has happened. I will lube the cable next year as my bike is in storage at this time.

The Beast :twisted:

Comment

My question is dose it hurt anything if I shift with out the clutch?
        Not at all. The clutch is really only there to get you rolling from a stop. After that, you can always shift without it. I almost never use the clutch going up, but I do like it for downshifting. I don't totally disengage it, though, just pull it in a bit to smooth things out. If you can shift smoothly and accurately match revs, there are no wear and tear issues at all. If you are banging and lurching, then it is hard on the tranny. As with most things automotive, smooth is best.

Mark

Comment

Working...
        X