Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new gs 650 l that sat for 10 years what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new gs 650 l that sat for 10 years what to do?

My uncle just gave me a 1981 suzuki gs 650l and he had not had it running for 10 years before now. he did empty the gas before putting it up out of commision but when i got a new battery and plugs the spark looks very week and it will not start. plugs smell gassy but will not even pop or sputter. i know i need to clean my carbs and i did by the 12$ kit for off this message board. is there an easy way to get the carbs out. i looked at it and holly crap they are inthere tight. also do i need new coils if i am not getting good spark or what is keeping me from starting. it might have enough spark but not be good carbs. i dont know.

any help would be great. also what else do i need to look at to get it raod worthy.

thanks nicholas

I just got a 550 that had been sitting since 1990. (see post from 11/22).

I suspect you will have to do all the same things they gave me to do.

I wouldn't get too excited about the coils right now. You have bigger fish to fry with tank and carbs, not to mention brakes and other fuids.

I pulled the carbs off my 550 (get the book, it won't make it easy, but it will keep you sane) this weekend. The garbage in there was beyond belief, it will call for some industrial strength carb cleaner to get those right. Lucky for me, I picked up some carbs on e-bay for 35.00, they need some care but much less than the ones that came with the bike.

Hang in ther. The folks on this post are more than kind and they will help as much as you let them.

rg

Comment

one more thing. I suspect your concern regarding coils is a red herring. Those carbs will not let it start. The coils are very dependable.

RG

Comment

I was in a similar spot. When i got my 650 it didn't run, so i pulled the carbs and thoroughly cleaned them. Before i was done i had to order new drain screws and gaskets, new rubber plugs for the pilot jet, 2 new needle jets, and i'm still working on the balance. But my coils work just fine. odds are if the coils worked when your uncle stoped riding it they should work now, provided that he didnt store it at the bottom of a pool Just be patient.

Comment

In reply to who to get the stock carbs out... there is no easy way.

They best way I have found so far is to loosen the stock air box (3 screws) then back off the box and distribution box as one..

Besure to loosen all the screws on the clamps for both the boots to the engine and the intake boots on the air box side.

Unscrew the choke cable mount on top of the carbs. Remove both the choke cable and the throttle cable and unhook the fuel and vaccum lines from the tank side. (If they are deteriorating you may want to replace these)

Now wiggle... and wiggle and fight... then relax and bitch for a bit... then go back and wiggle some more eventually at some point you will have enough space to slide the carbs out from one of the sides (which ever you choose).

With them off you can then follow the carb cleaning guide here on GSResources replace the gasket and check all your fittings and hoses and what not. Check your float height with a caliper (the height will be in one of the shop manuals like a clymer manual). If you need one I suggest getting one from theMotorbookstore.com http://www.themotorbookstore.com/mot...e-manuals.html they have pretty good prices for repair manuals and ship rather quickly using priority mail.

Good luck and remember.... it's all about having fun!

Comment

I'm in the same boat

I just got a 1981 gs 650G over the weekend and it is virtually the same story. It had been sitting is storage for 9 years and the person who0 gave it to me sounded suprised that when he recently tried to start it it wouldn't fire up. He was convinced that it was the ignition coils but, I'm somewhat more dubious. I have put new plugs in and checked the spark against the case. The spark also seems weak, but I think it should do something if there is some spark, but it douesn't catch at all. I'm currently want to check to see if the thing is getting any fuel but, I haven't figured out how to get the airbox off yet. The carbs may well be an issue, (having read the posts on this site) and that may be the next hurdle. Anyway, if you have any advice I'd be glad to hear it or to simply share progress notes. Good Luck!

Comment

it's alive its alive

i got it running fired right up after 6 hours of carb cleaning.i had them totally ripped apart. very dirty. after i finially fought them back into the bike and everything hooked up i turned the key pushed start and off it raored. pretty harsh at first but after it got going it was great. i still have alot of work to do. it does not idle verg good yet and i need to work on brakes and tires before i do any riding. no spark problems to speak of.

good luck in your adventures. i used 3m brake cleaner to remove most of the varnish and followed the cleaning process to a t on each carb.

nicholas

Comment

Working...
              X