Winterizeing the Beast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winterizeing the Beast

I am in the process of winterizeing my 80 1100E and wanter to know what is the best process. I have been given a couple of ideas such as draining the bowls and carbs or just adding a fuel stabalizer. Can someone let me know the best process?

The Beast :twisted:

Not saying it's the best, but here goes:

Some winters I simply put stabilizer in the gas and make sure to start it at least once a month. My bike stays indoors.

When I really want to put it away for the winter:
    1. Use fuel stabilizer
    2. Run for about 5 minutes
    3. Take out the battery
    4. Pull the tank and put on the shelf for the winter (full tank, with stabil in it)
    5. Pull carbs and drain bowls- put on the shelf
    6. Pull plugs out, spray in fogging oil, replace plugs
    7. Change oil (oops- should really be step 1)
    8. Put on center stand and block under the engine to lift front wheel
    9. Take the cover off the snowmobile...
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks Jethro! I did not know there was that much to doing a complete winterization. I do not think I'll go that far with it since I like to ride every chance I can and would hate to miss a possible trip trying to put it back together. Maryland has had some crazy weather the last couple of years and last year around Febuary I was able to ride an entire weekend.

The Beast :twisted:

Comment

Yeah, that is only what I do if I am going to put it up for the entire winter.

This year I am going to just put Stabil in the gas and pull the battery. I'll try and get a few rides in all through the winter.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
        X