Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I grease it enough?

Hello,

When I had my swingarm off recently, before I put the back end together again, I cleaned and re-greased the back splines. What I did exactly, was clean it with a rag, q-tip , and WD-40. I had some 60% molybdenum disulfide paste, (called MOLY anti-seize paste) , and regreased it with that pretty thoroughly. I am just not sure that I used enough quantity. I would estimate that I probably used about 1 oz(possibly 2?). of the paste for the whole job. I painted every bare part/spline/rubber/plastic on the inside of the drive-shaft / wheel assembly , and packed in some extra grease.

Also, what are the consequences of over-filling the front gearbox with the hypoid gear oil?

Is it rated as high pressure and hi temp? Those are the biggies for drive splines...it sounds like what you have may be designed specifically as an anti-sieze, which will soon disperse under a high pressure application, check the tube or whatever for appropriate applications and make sure.

Comment

Well, the thing is, that I got it for free. I went to a Honda dealership, and they couldn't sell it to me, for some reason, so they gave me a sample to take home. It had the same colour as some of the old stuff that I cleaned out (sparkly bronze colour) and had a very thick grease like consistency.

Comment

anti seize

I agree with Daveo, I don't think anit seize is a lubricant, just because it looks the same as something else doesn't mean it is.......Mike

Comment

Working...
        X