2 1/2 hours slow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 1/2 hours slow?

Is 2 1/2 hours seem slow to pull a 1150 motor out of the frame of a ridable bike? Carter
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Re: 2 1/2 hours slow?

NO, that is probably pretty decent time. A lot depends on whether you are doing it alone and are physically able to lift the engine. If you need to rig a hoist and use jacks, blocks, etc., it could take quite a bit more time.
    Then too, if youre removing the engine to repaint the frame, you probably dont care about a few scratches during the removal process. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Carter Turk
    Is 2 1/2 hours seem slow to pull a 1150 motor out of the frame of a ridable bike? Carter
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

If you're by yourself.... when you're totally ready to pull the engine, you can carefully lay the whole bike over on the floor, then stand the frame only back up and off the engine, which is now sitting on the floor, balanced precariously, don't drop it.

Comment

Yeap, if you done it before.

Heck today i just pop the exhaust, tank, carbs and pulled the block, pistons and head for my 1428 converson then I feed the kids lunch.

These's bike are soooooooooooo easy to work on.
        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Pulling a motor for a drag bike guy is like taking a leak. Unzip and you're done. How long does it take you to adjust valves? 10 minutes? Less?

I had not pulled a motor since 1996, so its been a while. I find it a bit sad knowing my bike is out of comission when I go in the garage.

I used a small jack and wood block the height of the frame rail, cover the frame rail with a bike tire and zip tied it to the frame. Crouched over the engine and lifted it out. Never thought of the lay down method. Carter
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I removed the motor out of my Katana, it was fully re-assembled in just over half an hour. 8O
            But oh boy was I p!ssed off at the time.
            Dink

Comment

Nope it take's me 15 minutes and that's having a beer.

The last time I'd look my bike has carbs, exhaust, fuel tank, oem mounts plus two more and a chain. Now what were you saying.
              1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
              1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
              1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
              1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
              01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

It took me about 2 1/2 minutes to pull my motor out of the 81 1100.

NOT!!!

What are you guys high on?? It takes me about an hour to do my valve adjustment, and that I would consider quick! These motors are easy to work on, but 10 minutes to do the valve adjust? Damn.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Dont feel bad Jethro. I have spent an hour on ONE valve because I couldnt get it precisely on the thousandth I wanted it on. turn the engine over a couple time, come back and check it. Nope, its a half thou out now. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by Jethro
                  It took me about 2 1/2 minutes to pull my motor out of the 81 1100.

NOT!!!

What are you guys high on?? It takes me about an hour to do my valve adjustment, and that I would consider quick! These motors are easy to work on, but 10 minutes to do the valve adjust? Damn.
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

It often depends on how long the motor has sat undisturbed. The little things will slow you down: going slow to avoid breaking exhaust studs, wiggling the exhaust apart, stiff and brittle carb boots, overheated and corroded electrical connections that need replaced, gaskets from the 80s that are tougher than the aluminum, etc. Don't be in a hurry to say "whoops" afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                    X