how to pull the carbs off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to pull the carbs off

i have a 81 650L and need to clean the carbs what is the easy way to pull them off. it seems like the little screws holding the intake are going to be impossible with a normal screwdriver

any help is great.

thanks
    nicholas

I don't think there is a easy way. patience & not getting too aggrivated can probably help as much as anything. If you've never done this before, you will probably think you are going to rip the rubber boots apart, but they are pretty tough.

Comment

soak the boots in wd-40 or somthing equivelent, personally i use PB Blaster, and pray... alot

Comment

you should be able to seperate the carb rack from the intake by finding the ring and screw that holds them to the intake boots. they'll be tucked up under the carb body.

undo those and the ones on the airbox, and struggle like you've never struggled before to get it out.

last, throw the airbox away cuz it's a piece of junk. :P

Comment

last, throw the airbox away cuz it's a piece of junk.
          And then spend about 2 years getting your bike jetted correctly with pod filters!
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

BEER. And lots of it, I don't mean a quart, or a six pack. Im talking a keg. 8O 8O

That'll help you get those carbs out. :twisted:

I'll be totally honest here, it was the biggest flipping pain in the arse thing I think I ever did. Getting them out was easy for me. Getting them back in was a total nightmare. I have the stock air box that is the kind that somehow seems to have been Injection molded right into the frame. 8O I have approx 1/2" max room to move it back and get the boots back on. It took me roughly 3 days (after work) to finally get them in. That didn't end all my problems with them. I had to replace the fuel line a bit later, and that was not fun either.

I would ask all the experts here about the little things to do before putting them back in. Ie.....putting the fuel line and the vent lines on. Earl mentioned putting the airbox boots on before hand. THings like that.

I struggled with the clamps also. Mine were shot. I fixed some, and used Large Hose clamps on the rest. Not easy to get them on if you can't get them on before hand. I couldn't.

Not a fun job for me, but others seem to have no trouble.

Good Luck.

Comment

Oh, and I invented some new swear words too.

Comment

would you be able to correctly jet the carbs (and set the needles) without fully assembling and running the bike? is there some set standard for this?

I'm taking my carbs apart to clean them, and I know that its gonna be a hell of a time getting things back together correctly, and I wont want to have to take them off again......and again.

poot

Comment

Originally posted by Astra625
                  soak the boots in wd-40 or somthing equivelent, personally i use PB Blaster, and pray... alot
                  After a few moments my carb boots become lubricated with Blood, Sweat and Tears...and then a few hours later they just slip right on or off. That's on the 7/11 my '83 has pods

Comment

If possible do this in a heated place, when the air temperature is 70 degrees or higher the rubber boots will be a little more pliable. As mentioned in a previous post you cannot hurt the boots, they flex quite a bit. Just make sure that all the clamps are loose on both the airbox and the engine sides of the carbs. When I had to remove mine for the sixth or seventh time in two months (don't ask..), I found that by forcing the carbs out of the engine side first by pushing them down, sitting on the bike and grabbing carb 1 with my left hand and carb 4 with my right then rotating away from me and down that they popped out of the boots. After that the airbox side came out rather easily. Then you just have to feed them out from below with a little twisitng and pulling. I also found that after they were out and below the airbox that it was easier to remove the throttle cable and the choke cable, you can manipulate the carbs making them a little easier to remove.

When oyu are ready to put them back in let us know, we all have ideas on that also

Scud

Comment

would you be able to correctly jet the carbs (and set the needles) without fully assembling and running the bike? is there some set standard for this?
                      Is your bike running correctly now, as it is?
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Dave, I too invented new swear words trying to get that airbox out...and on my 550 I had even LESS room to work with! I was doing this in a parking lot...when I finally got it out, I threw it across the parking lot.

A tip for reinstalling your carbs (I learned the hard way) is to spray a bit of WD40 on the manifold boots when you go to slide the rack back in. It will go in 600x better.

~Adam

Comment

Adam - we'll have to compare our "Invented New Words". :twisted:

My manifold boots were actuall quite the breeze. Somehow, after I got them in, the damn air box wouldn't cooperate. I couldn't get the damn thing back up to where it was, and struggled to get the boots on. I finally had to take the screen out and reach thru the airbox and push the boots on from inside the airbox. Then my wife had to do the 2 outside ones as my big fat hands wouldn't fit in there.

Lots of fun. NOT. I swore that if I ever had to do it again, I'd do POD's.

Comment

remove carbs

There is an easy way, #1 you remove the tank #2 remove the seat, #3 make a mark where the air box meets the carbs, put the mark on the top of frame and on the bottom rails, #4 put blocks under frame to support the bike for step #5, step #5 take a sawzall, pipe cutter or hack saw, and cut thru all the marks you made on the frame, #6 now pull the frame havles apart and you now have easy access to the carbs, reassembly to follow in chapter #2 witch will require :arrow: special skills

Comment

ROTFLMAO.

I wish I'd of thought of that. Dad's got a welder too.

Comment

Working...
                              X