willit fit without a sledge hammer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

willit fit without a sledge hammer?

Well, Thursday I'm going to my bike in the cities to try and repair it, but I need to know if a few parts will fit. First, if it is the head, will the GS750 head fit? they are both 2 valvers. Second, What is the static timing on a GS1000 in 79? Thirdly, Will the stator/rotor fit? Thanks in advance

I believe the 750 head is going to have smaller valves and ports. It may fit but if my assumptions are correct it's not going to flow the way you need it to. The combustion chamber will most likely have less volume meaning a higher compression ratio. Probably not a good choice. I would suggest you check BikeBandit for part numbers on the other items.

Comment

I believe the stator and rotor from a GS750(8V) will fit on a GS1000, BUT only if you fit them as a pair. The GS1000 parts are bigger, but the fixinf points are the same.

Comment

Thats what I needed to know Brit. Thanks a lot, both of you... does anybody else have an opinion on the Head?

Comment

Yes.
          Forget trying to fit the 750 head, it won't work. Buy a 1000 head from a breaker (salvage yard to you colonials.) They're common because they're pretty tough. I have 3 spares! (You can have one if you pay the postage!)
          If you want more power make sure you get the later head, the big port CV carb job. This gives more power on its own, but importantly allows you to fit all kinds of Gucci carbies.
          Keep on keepin' on.

Comment

well, I don't have a pile of cash laying around... so I'm not going 16Valve now, maybe later, or changing carbs. Do you know the static timing on a gs 8V?

Comment

I meant later 8 valve GS1000, i.e. GS1000ET, GT from 1980.
              I don't think a 16 valve head would fit.

Sorry, can't help you with the timing.

Comment

Working...
              X