holy dirty carb help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

holy dirty carb help

i just pulled off my carbs on my 81 650gs and drained the bowls. holy turpintine. need to fully clean the carbs however i noticed it says mikuni carbs or somthing like that is that the standerd carb for all bikes because according to the pictures and how to clean carbs they do not have noticeable screws for mixtures or do i need to break it down farther to see what i am dealing with

any help is great also i ordered the o-ring set but will i be able to reuse the float bowl gaskets or do i have to buy new. or is there a material that works good to make them like rtv silicone.

thanks
    nicholas 8O 8O

If you are carefull you can reuse the gaskets. On the intake side of the carb on top their is a plug that has to be removed to access the mixture screws

Comment

let me know what you use to clan up the bowls. I am assuming you have some serious varnish (?) When I used some gumoput carb abd injector cleaner on mine it did not budge the stuff in the carb.

keep me posted on your progress.

RG

Comment

try...

Not meanig to butt in here but I used GM penetrating fluid, worked great on 7+ year old dried up fuel (or should I say asphalt)....Mike

Comment

I usually use a can of parts dip to soak them in. Just be very careful and not allow any gasket material or rubber material in the dip. (Unless you don't care if they are destroyed). Get it at any auto parts store, mine was a gallon can with a basket inside. When done, over night, I wiped them down of the excess and sprayed them with a carb cleaner to further clean. When finished the carbs looked brand new.

As far as a gasket material, I bought a roll from the auto parts store. Found some the same thickness and made of basicly the same material. Came in a rolled sheet. I just traced the outside of the carb bowl, and was able to take the old gasket, was only torn in one place, and trace the inside edge, and holes.

Comment

Working...
          X