Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain resting on centerstand

Hi all,

Yesterday I just noticed my chain (on my 81 GS550) was slack enough that it was resting on the center stand slightly. This doesn't look normal. I have noticed a little tick sound when I decelerate which I thought was coming from the clutch but now I think it's the chain hitting the centerstand. I measured the slack while the bike is on the centerstand and it seemed okay. Is it better to measure slack with someone sitting on the bike? Anyway should I be able to clear this problem by just tightening it or is it likely the chain and sprocket need replacing? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

-skm

I adjust all my chains to 7/8"-1" on the side stand, always have.

Your chain is too loose, it should never run over the centerstand.

The sound your hearing on deceleration, is more then likely, the chain buching up @ the counter sprocket, $ or the swingarm slide, becuz you have it set too loose.

As far as replacing them go, are your sprockets teethe deformed in any way>?

Is the chain in specs?, does it overlap the teeth on the sprocket?

Do you maintain your chain(lube it)?

Peace,
    B

Comment

In theory you should be sitting on the bike when measuring chain tension

Comment

Thanks for the info! I adjusted the chain on the side stand as you suggested. Wow was it off! I just finshed the adjsutment and lubed the chain and took it for a spin. No more tick noise! A nice quiet ride. Sprockets look good actually so I think I'm okay for now on the chain. I'll just remember to keep an eye on it

-skm

Comment

Working...
        X