750 S/C gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750 S/C gears

Found a crank with 750 straight cut gear for my gs 1100,any advantage/disadvantage in the 750 over the 1100 gear?how much of a difference in the final ratio?thanks, Steve

While we are at it, what is the point of a helical cut gear on the crank?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
      While we are at it, what is the point of a helical cut gear on the crank?
      The helical gear was used to reduce engine noise as a straight cut gear is quite noiusy in operation, the helical gear is also the reason why clutch baskets etc. in these motors wear so bad, as when the throttle is opened side load is applied as the helical gear climb each other and hence push sideways , and obviously then pull back as the throttle is closed.
      The 750 straight cut gear will cause everything to spin faster as the ratio is lower, exactly how much lower I dont remember.
      Dink

Comment

Ive got a cracked inner hub to further prove this side load issue.So the gear change will be bigger front sprocket and/or smaller back to compensate for the diffrent ratio. thanks

Comment

Working...
        X