78 GS1000 instruments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1000 instruments

As you tend to do in a showroom full of new and second hand bikes, a 78 GS1000 caught my eye out of general interest. Only 20,000kms but it looked like it has had a hard life judging by the corrosion and aging of components. The bike looked very original, apart from the instruments. They were Nippon Densos, with a fuel guage in between and above the dials. My 78 instruments have the fuel guage in the right hand dial (useless as the guage is!), and don't show who made them. I am assuming that the bike has been crashed and instruments replaced with something else (big scrapes on the points cover...).

Does anyone know if such instruments were on very early GS1000s? Mine was in the first shipment to Australia, but I don't know if there were some variations out there.

This is/was my 1979 GS1000S dash, did it look like this?

[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0RQA4HWYUi7zxP7L1YVH8z7qNcsXxEL9*zXOBWu8qFaCDdztFb 02qOMoH3rS68GIaetOqi1eaF15pTB7bvj5fn2YGT6xP8pW9CGs GD8I!l14/ME%20foto4.jpg[/img]

Comment

Ya know, My 78e (US model) just has the two clocks with a row of idiot lights inbetween with the fuel guage in the Tach. clock.

That is a stock '78e US model set-up.

Again, just worthless info
      Rico

Comment

Hmm..I do know what a GS1000S setup looks like, and it was nothing like that...I perhaps feel insulted

The guages I saw looked off another bike. The fuel guage was the only one in between the dials. No branding, just Nippon Denso.

A set of S guages would be quite ok

Rico, ever GS I have seen aprt from the S has the setup on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
          Hmm..I do know what a GS1000S setup looks like, and it was nothing like that...I perhaps feel insulted

The guages I saw looked off another bike. The fuel guage was the only one in between the dials. No branding, just Nippon Denso.

A set of S guages would be quite ok

Rico, ever GS I have seen aprt from the S has the setup on mine.
          Sorry Saaz, very hard to judge the knowledge people have especially if you don't check the authors name

Comment

Working...
          X