Simple question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple question

Okay, so I've checked the Clymer's and the Owner's manuals, and neither of them can tell me where the vent tube that dangles below the bike hooks up to. It's become disconnected and I can't, for the life of me, figure out where the heck this thing plugs back into! I'm thinking the back of the air box behind the carbs, but can't see it too well. I plan on ripping out the carbs tonite and thought I'd try and put this thing back where it's supposed to go while I'm at it.

Thanks
    Brad tt

depending on your bike, there should be at least 2 of the hoses dangling down (some have an extra one for the battery). One is connected to the left side of the breather box, on the bottom (theres a nib there for it) and the other should connect to the......um.......not quite sure.

Comment

Re: Simple question

Most likely, the tube came off the plastic vent on the side of your battery. Its to keep acid off the frame.

Earl

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
      Okay, so I've checked the Clymer's and the Owner's manuals, and neither of them can tell me where the vent tube that dangles below the bike hooks up to. It's become disconnected and I can't, for the life of me, figure out where the heck this thing plugs back into! I'm thinking the back of the air box behind the carbs, but can't see it too well. I plan on ripping out the carbs tonite and thought I'd try and put this thing back where it's supposed to go while I'm at it.

Thanks
      Brad tt
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I can trace the battery breather down to where it ends. It's an 81 1100E. If any one has a Clymer manual, you can see the tube on the front picture. I'm tending towards the air box because the tube has about a 90 degree bend at the top.

Thanks again

Brad tt

Comment

90 deg bend eh? Yup, thats the airbox. I never bother to put a drain tube on the airbox. there should not be any fluid draining from the airbox. Its an Airbox. LOL

Earl

I can trace the battery breather down to where it ends. It's an 81 1100E. If any one has a Clymer manual, you can see the tube on the front picture. I'm tending towards the air box because the tube has about a 90 degree bend at the top.

Thanks again

Brad tt

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
            90 deg bend eh? Yup, thats the airbox. I never bother to put a drain tube on the airbox. there should not be any fluid draining from the airbox. Its an Airbox. LOL

Earl

Thanks again

Brad tt
            LMAO I'm not really too concerned about it, but it's been driving me batty that I couldn't tell where it went to. And, not to mention, that I couldn't find any mention of it in either manuals! It's started to drag on the ground and I figured I better make sure it's not important before I discover it gone.

Brad tt

Comment

Brad, if its dragging on the ground, you could always fold it and put a rubber band around it. LOL

Earl

It's started to drag on the ground and I figured I better make sure it's not important before I discover it gone.

Brad tt

Comment

Hahahaha!!

Brad tt

Comment

It's on the airbox for two reasons.
                  Fuel can overflow into the carb throats and drain into the airbox. The hose routes the spill to the ground.
                  The other reason is discharge from the crankcase breather tube drains into the airbox too.
                  So put it back on and stop yukking it up funny boys!
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Seriously Keith. If I have fuel draining out of the airbox vent, I have a much bigger problem than a little mess on the frame underneath. The same is true of oil. If I have enough oil vapor blowby to condense and result in oil dripping from the airbox, there is a problem. I dont use a a tube on the airbox. There aint no oil or gas mess underneath it either. :-)

The last time I had the airbox removed, there was not the slightest bit of oil residue in it.

Additionally, the location of that tube would result in (if it were present) gas and oil draining onto the tire. Not exactly a desirable situation.

Earl

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                    It's on the airbox for two reasons.
                    Fuel can overflow into the carb throats and drain into the airbox. The hose routes the spill to the ground.
                    The other reason is discharge from the crankcase breather tube drains into the airbox too.
                    So put it back on and stop yukking it up funny boys!

Comment

I would like to add that I have been cought in rain hard enough that it got sucked into my stock air box!!!!
                      but then again, where water drains to out of the air box is not a issue as long as it does drain out of the air box.

Comment

Earl, I'm just saying why the hose is there. It has a purpose.
                        If you WERE to have a problem, the gas flowing out the hose would be the lesser of two evils. The factory designed it with safety in mind and to keep your bike cleaner, not me.
                        The bikes I've seen have the hose routed off to the left or right of the tire.
                        You can always re-route it and get a longer hose if you wish.
                        The hose exists for the same reason we have carb bowl overflow hoses, to keep fuel off the possibly hot motor and/or electrical parts.
                        As for crankcase breather discharge, you may not see any in your airbox, but I've seen it a lot. Many times it never gets to the point of actually going out the hose. It can come out as a thin film that's kind of sticky and just keeps building on itself. It can coat quite a large area inside the box.
                        No design is perfect, but I think we're better off with the hose on.
                        As always, you know I'm not arguing about this, so don't take these words like that. I just thought I should mention why the factory installs those hoses.
                        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I could have swore that there was a vent line from the tank that went down there also...

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
                            I could have swore that there was a vent line from the tank that went down there also...

Hap
                            Yes there is. At least there is on my '83 1100E. I can't help with the airbox question. All I know is that there is no drain hose coming from my pods.

Joe
                            IBA# 24077
                            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Does this mean that you guys that know what they are for are a "bunch of hosers"? That's a midwest expression, BTW......

And yeah - condensation builds up in airboxes.

Condensation occurs when air pressure drops, like in tailpipes and especially the high performance GS's that Earl and Keith are running.

Last time Earl twisted his throttle wide open to blow by that truck on the S curve, I could hear the huge sucking sound all the way up here in Wisconsin! That must have produced some condensation. ....and no, I don't mean condescension!!! - Dieter

Comment

Working...
                              X