Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another oil question.....

Hello all,

I am currently debating with my brother on which oils to use in the summer. Both our bikes are 10w-40 recommended, but he runs 20w50 because he feels it gets too hot when hes in stop-n-go traffic.

I dont think I want to put in 20-50, but possibly it is beneficial?

comments?

I use 15W50 Mobil1 year around. I would still use it year around if I lived north instead of in Florida. Before using Mobil1, for 30 years, I used Castrol GTX 20w50 during hot weather. (which is year round in Fl) :-)

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I mostly use 15w50 Mobil 1 or 20w50 Spectro.

In my bike, the engine makes less noise and it shifts better with the slightly thicker stuff. Stone cold, the clutch is a bit more draggy, but that goes away in less than a block.

Use whatever makes you happy!
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

In my bike, in the hot aussie summer I use none less than PENRITE HPR30

NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH PENZOIL (major problems with it)

HPR30 is 20W60 and works well in all my bikes. It also states on the container that it is suitable for bikes with a wet clutch.

I am in no way affiliated with this company, I have just used their products for the last 15+ years.

See

and

Comment

The Tractor has always run Valvoline XLD, I tried to change to different oils a couple of times it just chews them up or mis-behaves, so I put it back on XLD end of problem.
          Kitty runs Castrol activ 4T 15-50 and rums well on it, I am considering the swap to Mobil 1 though.
          Dink

Comment

10W-40 oil was originally specified. It is good for the temperature range from -20c to above 50c ambient. A 20W-50 is good for -10c to above 50c ambient. Unless you live in a climate in which this matters, don't worry. In the GS I use either 20W-60 or 15W-60. I also used 20W-50 for many years before this. I would not loose any sleep over the differences between a 10W-40 and a 20W-50 unless you were in a really cold climate. In hot wether the 50 weight makes more sense.

Years ago I ran a 20 litre drum of straight 50 weight penzoil in the bike during summer. Ran perfectly allright, in fact did not really perform better than a 20W-50.

With age a multi grade oil will break down. A 10W-40 is a 40 weight oil that acts like a 10W in low temps, similar for the 20W-50. In higher temps the 20W-50 will last longer before it breaks down.

Comment

Working...
            X