Dipsticks: how low do they go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dipsticks: how low do they go?

Here's one that is not addressed either in my owners manual, my Haynes manual or my GS400 Service Manual...

When you're checking the oil level, do you screw the dipstick all the way into the engine, or simply rest on its threads. I've always gotten contradictory opinions over the years, and end up keeping the oil at a level that is within bounds either way (but that means its at the bottom half of acceptable if the dipstick should only be resting on the threads). Now, with access to all this first-hand, GS-specific expertise, I thought I might finally be able to get a definite answer.

(The -20 year old- manual also refers to SD or SE oils as being the minimum reguired. I'm assuming the higher alphabet ratings -SE, etc- are better still, or should I be still looking for the SE/SD types?)

Thanks,
    Jim Regan

I was wondering the same. I usually check with it screwed all the way in. I have noticed the sound I get when it's too low on oil will go away when it"s all the way in looks right. But wouldn't mind other's opinion on this.

Comment

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

(By the way, that last line should read "...alphabet ratings -SG, etc-...". I hear that SJ -and presumably later ratings- have components that could cause slipping in wet plate clutches, but when I check at the local bike shop, Suzuiki, Honda and Yamaha, all sell SJ rated motorcycle oils.)

Comment

I believe the oil is checked with the threads just touching. My old Honda was this way.

Comment

Go ahaed and use the SG-SJ-SL rated oils. As long as it is not "energy conserving" (found on the back of the bottle on a little round emblem---and almost always found only on 10w-30, 5w-30 and so -on ). Just make sure that you use the right viscosity oil (10w-40, 10w-50, 20w-50, etc.) and you will be ok.

Comment

Working...
          X