replacing plug wires on GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing plug wires on GS1000G

The spark plug wires on my [newly-acquired] 1980 GS1000G are really old, possibly stock, and when the bike gets damp they behave erratically and the #3 cyldinder seems not to be firing correctly.

I thought I might just change the wires out with some new ones but have had the hardest time identifying the replacement wires for this bike. I've gotten a look at a the manufacturer's parts diagram, and it sure looks like the wires are considered a part of the coil. Does this mean I need to replace the entire coil to swap out the wires? The replacement coil assembly isn't cheap, and my budget is tight this time of year. Is it worth trying to splice new spark plug wires onto the old coil somehow? Any tips for doing this, including what kind of wire I should use?

TIA.

The wires are part of the coils, They can be replaced with some creativty, You need SOLID core wire. Best bet for long term would be to find late model coils. Replace them with coils from a GSX/Bandit etc usually $20-$25 on ebay

Comment

You say it has problem when wet (good indication of wire-coil problems), and you say #3 has probelms. Are you saying that #3 has problems even when not wet?

Also dont overlook the plug caps. They degrade over time (more so than the coils-wires) and are easier to replace (than replacing coils) and are only about 5 bucks apiece. Caps for 1 & 4 are different than 2&3 only in length and angle of the connector.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Good luck! I assume you were the one that got them 8)

Comment

Yep, I followed your advice on getting those cores/wires, thanks for the tip! I'm going to get some NGK caps that fit in the GS (looks like I use the LB05EZ for cyls 1 & 4 and XB05F for 2 & 3) and splice them on the ends and if they work well, I hopefully won't have to worry about cores/plug wires for a number of years.

Comment

The ends screw on! VB05f & XB05F are the #s I have

Comment

Working...
            X