gas pouring out everywhere!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas pouring out everywhere!!!!!

hi all new problem same pike. i just took my 81 gs650 out for its first drive in nine years. i cleaned the carbs(i think pretty good), changed oil the works and when i got back i notice i was leaving a trail of gas. it was pouring out of the air intake vent the one hanging below the bike and both carb vent tubes the ones coming off the T's between carbs. what did i do or not do. any help would be great.

besides the gas problem the bike hauls ass. i did notice a slight knock in the crank i think. but it might just be my ears.

thank

nicholas :x

check your petcock and make sure that it is set to 'On' and not 'Prime'

Comment

If fuel is pouring out ONE or more of the float needles are stuck/leaking
      Usually when this happens their is also the posibility of getting gas in the oil - check the oil for gas If it continues after the bike has been turned off (allowing for excess to drain) the petcock is leaking too!

Comment

Start with the petcock, tract that down to the carb body inlet. If, as you say, it's coming out of the air intake and float overflow hoses, you have one of two problems. Either the floats are set wayyy to high, or the float needle jet is malfunctioning. If you never messed with the floats, I'd say either the gaskets on the needle seat are shot or the needle jets have crud in them. This can happen from trying to clean the carbs, so a little gunk gets dislodged and jams the needle jet open.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Needle & seat valves

If you end up needing to replace needle & seat valves you can get them for about $12 from partsnmore.com. They come in a kit with those, two o-rings and a float bowl gasket. Had a similar problem, o-rings were rock hard. Migt as well do both/all carbs at once.

Comment

Working...
          X