Carburetors all wacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carburetors all wacked

I have an 83 gs450. I have been having problems with my carburetors for a while. So I recently cleaned them. I cleaned them with an air chuck an got these things mint. Everything was taken apart and cleaned thoroughly. I put them back on and had the same problems. First of all when you first start it, it only starts on one cylinder wheter on choke or not. This is cyl 1. I have to push in my air filter on cylinder 2 to choke it myself and bursts of smoke come out and it starts popping. The second i let off the filter that cyl dies. So that carb is not getting enough fuel. if i play with it and keep revving it high that cylinder will eventually run. I have the adjustment screw as far out as it can be before falling outon that cyl, #2. That gives it more fuel. Its even worse if i put it in further. Cylinder#1 was running lean but it runs alot better than #2. I can tell it was running lean because my exhaust on that side was cherry hot. o i increased my fuel and it didn't run so hot any more. But that cylinder backfires alot. Like every 3 or 4 seconds idling it backfires except when i rev it high it hardly backfires as much. I have been tampering with these carbs for a while and im just aggrivated. The air filters have no effect on the way it runs becasue it runs the same with or without them. Theres nothing wrong with the motor. Its just these air fuel adjustments or jets or something. Also the the bikes idle changes whenever it wants. it will rise for about a minute and then drop so lo its about to stall and sometimes does. is there anything specific i should check that controls the air and fuel.
    --Matt

heres a few things to check , and Im sure the rest of teh gang will give detailed help.

Make sure that your airbox is completely sealed. Leaks will really mess things up, letting too much air in, and what not.
    Are your carbs syncronised properly??
    Also, check the breather hose and fuel lines, as well as the petcock, and fuel line filter(if your bike has one...not sure)
    Could also be a number of other problems, including the clearances which would affect the compression, and possibly a backflow of air/fuel into the carbs...

Comment

carbs

I always say start with the basics check spark and connections, check valve cleances, new spark plugs, vents and hoses, and the compression so you know that your starting with a soild engine, if your having to cover the end of the one carb to draw fuel you have low vacuum, tight valve? if you have points clean and adjust them, dont just assume that it can only be the carbs, especially if you are confident that you did a good job

Comment

Man, it sounds like an intake leak to me. If your idle changes all the time, something is wrong.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Carburetors all wacked

I know i have good fuel flow as i checked. I do have a filter that works nice. The motor has plenty of compression and the ignition system works good as i put new coils on and it sparks great. I dont have a an airbox because i put on foam pod filters. On cyl 2 where i said i have to push the foam filter in to choke it, when its running and you push it in and tap tap throttle, it screams and seems to run awesome because its so smooth. But the second you let off that filter, it starts to act up again. As someone mentioned about the vacuum, what do you check to see if its working right?

Comment

sounds like you are running to lean, you will need to rejet your carbs if you want to run pod filters. these early bikes are jet to run lean with the oem air box/filter that restricts the air flow even more. so when you add the foam pods it get way to much air so you will need to add more gas to the mix.

-ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

You might want to dip your carbs too..... There may be tiny crevasses that junk could get into. I would think if one cyl is running the other should as well, even if its running poorly.

I pulled one set of carbs off and sprayed them off with canned cleaner. I then had to remove them again and dip them. I got muuuch better results after dipping them.

Comment

You will have to rejet your bike for the pods or put the stock airbox back on or you will melt some valves/pistons. I don't think there is a stage III kit for your bike available though. :? Do it fast before you *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ up thre motor.

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
                  You will have to rejet your bike for the pods or put the stock airbox back on or you will melt some valves/pistons. I don't think there is a stage III kit for your bike available though. :? Do it fast before you mess up thre motor.
                  Quoted for truth! You're running lean dude.
                  If you're gonna install pods on these bikes you have to increase the fuel flow substantially with new jets.

Comment

Lean yes - but it sounds like a leaky intake boot.

With the engine running, spray some WD-40 on the carb to engine intake boot on the missing cylinder, and see if it affects your idle. If surges, then you're sucking air through the rubber boot, either due to a bad seal or dry-rot.

Check your valve clearances and rejet your carbs!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X