Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

83 & 84 GS750ES engine, whats the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 & 84 GS750ES engine, whats the difference?

I'm looking at engine gasket sets for my '83 GS750 and I notice the set is '83 only and there is another (cheaper) set for '84. Does anyone know what the difference is in these sets? If I buy the '83 set will it work for the '84? The other way around? Not at all?

Please advise if you can. I'll be putting the '83 on the road but I have an '84 parts bike which actually has lower mileage. I'd go with the '84 but it came into the US from Canada under wholesome but not all together legal means and so can't beregisterd "or you'll be arrested, now get this off my border and part it out".

Any help?
    Mac

Mac,
    The 1984 is the same as a 1983. The 84 was only sold in Canada. Any time you look up parts for these bikes, the 1984 is never listed.

Kevan
    1984 GS750
    176,000kms.

Comment

[quote="kevan"]Mac,
      The 1984 is the same as a 1983. The 84 was only sold in Canada. Any time you look up parts for these bikes, the 1984 is never listed.

So whats the $30 difference and different part number for the two gasket sets about then? If I buy the cheaper '84 gasket set am I going to be missing something for the '83? Head gasket thickness the same and all?

Sorry about what may be dumb questions, I'm totally new to bikes but not new to mechanical work

Mac

Comment

very good question!
        the GS750 was not sold in America for 1984, it returned for 1985 as a 700 (thanks hardley ablson)
        the 750 was sold every where else in 84 and later.
        the only explanation I can give is price gouging of us Americans.
        it is very common, I was raped over a 1/4 window for my car, you can get the exact same window in Australia for less than a third of the cost they charge for it here.
        check to see that the gasket kit has the same number of parts and go for it, the 84 gs 750 sold in Canada and over seas is the same engine as the 83.

Comment

Great! Thanks both of you for clearing that up. I was mostly worried that the 84 might have a different head gasket/compression ratio or something. I can't even find the site now that had both listed.

The '84 I have is a Canadian bike by the way.

Mac

Comment

no 84 750

The reason the 750 was not sold here ( but the 700 was ) is H-D went cryng to congress that no one was buying their bikes so to sell more 883 sportsters they placed tariffs on any bike over 700 cc

Most companies destroked the bikes to 697 and thumbed their noses at the rule. The tariff was dropped years later when they threatened to retaliate against huge V-twins that were big sellers in Japan.

Governments can be so stupid sometimes, almost as dumb as the people who elect them
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
            X