how do i set the floats now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do i set the floats now

i figure the gas pouring out of my vent lines is due to floats not being adjusted right. how do i do that.it is a 81 gs 650 and please tell me i get to pull the carbs off again.this will make it three times and i only rode it 2 miles also fow do i tell if my needles are good or if that is the problem.

nicholas

You'll need someone to tell you the details, or get your hands on a shop manual. On my carbs (which are quite different from yours), there is a small tounge on the float arm that contacts the needle jet. Bending this arm adjusts the point of shut off by pushing on the needle valve. Each carb has a different measurement, so someone who has a manual will have to tell you. To check the needle valve itself, you need to remove the tiny needle and look at the contact surface on the tip of the needle. Often times this wears and will look like a ridge around the needle point. If you can see it and feel it with your fingernail, they need replacing. The brass housing around this needle is removable and has a rubber o-ring around it to seal it. make sure this is ok.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Give each floatbowl a few taps with a nylon or rubber hammer, if you're lucky they will stop leaking.

Comment

YOU do get to pull them off again. When you have them off you can hook up the fuel line and fill the carbs Before you install them to check for leaks Not sure what the setting is for your carb. I usually make a gauge from heavy cardboard makes it easier than trying to look at the measureing scale

Comment

Carb float Height Specs

I jjust got a Suzuki shop manual for my 1981 gs650g from the person who sold me my bike. So here is what the shop manual says about float heights: "To check the float height, invert the carburetor body, with the flaot arm kept free, measure the height ( here there is a diagram indicating the distance between the the top of the float bowl, [with the gasket removed] and the top of the rounded part of the float i.e. before a little step up. This distance the manual suggests should be 22.4 mm plus or minus 1.0 mm) while the float arm is just in contact with the needle valve by using caliper. Bend the tongue as necessary to bring the height to (above) value". Thephotograph indicated a small metal tongue between the float bowl arms for the adjustment. Hope this helps! Owe to finally have a manual...

Comment

Re: how do i set the floats now

Originally posted by nwander
            i figure the gas pouring out of my vent lines is due to floats not being adjusted right. how do i do that.it is a 81 gs 650 and please tell me i get to pull the carbs off again.this will make it three times and i only rode it 2 miles also fow do i tell if my needles are good or if that is the problem.

nicholas
            When I had gas pouring out my vent tubes I had a float with a crack in it (old brass type floats). You might need to check your floats' condtions too.

Comment

i get to set mine now, too.. it's been so darned cold, though, that i'm not too interested in being outside in the wind.. lol

Comment

Working...
              X