Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Cycles. What should I add to my garage tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Cycles. What should I add to my garage tools?

I'm just gearing up to work on my first bike ever, a 1983 GS750ES and I'm wondering what type of specialized tools and equipment I'm going to need for this and future projects. I'll be doing all of my own work and future maintenance.

Right now I have all the standard shop tools for automotive work, mostly metric. Engine crane, jacks, air compressor, HVLP spray system, gas and MIG welding equipment, 30ton press, calipers, hones....the works pretty much.

TIA for your input!
    Mac

Get a carb sync. Motion Pro has an economy model for $40. But, you can find some of higher quality.

Dont get me wrong the motion pro one works just fine, but from the list of other tools you have i can tell this is more than a minor hobby

Comment

One of the best "tools" you can acquire would have to be a Suzuki shop manual for your bike - no shop is complete without one ... 8)

Check Ebay - you'll see them up for auction every once in a while.

Comment

You sound like you are fairly "hard core" when it comes to tools.
        1) Genuine shop manual, absolutely essential.
        2) Decent to good Multmeter, very handy, would be surprised if you dont already have
        3) Carb synchronising tools, Carbtune is very highly recommended, am gonna add one to my cheaper one.
        4) Bike lift table, not essential but great to have saves a lot of bending over and crouching down.
        Dink

Comment

Other what's already been mentioned, and of course the basic tools like sockets (you'll need a 32mm for the front sprocket) and an impact wrench, you're looking at bike specific tools, like pullers and such, and don't need them until you're getting in pretty deep. It's good to have all the lubes and stuff kicking around, like chain lube, penetrating oil, silicone spray, cable life kit, pretty basic stuff.

and the handymans secret weapon...Duct tape...

and beer.

Comment

Hello Mac,

Bike lift would be great, but I imagine most of us have just what I do for that: a 5 gallon bucket to sit on instead. Actaully I have something much more luxurious than that. Yah, I have three 5 gallon buckets, one for each side and one for tools. har har

Yah, A Suzuki factory manaul will be great, are hard to find, may need to keep checking ebay for a couple months to find a used on. Often sell for 30 bucks or so. Suzuki manaul are more specific to each year, so be sure it is for your year, or is is from later year and has a section for each year. Much easier to find a Clymers which are common on ebay and avaialbe thru many booksellers. A Clymers manaul will cover a range of years and models, Suzuki manaul more specific to a model and year.

I suppose you do have a multimeter. If not, you will want one, prbably need one more for the GS than any car you have had.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

lets see...

Multi meter: Check (Fluke 78)
              Factory manual: Half a check (getting one from Bruce Barnich from this site) and have one for up to 1982 bikes.
              Bike table/lift: Not yet. I'm going to see if I need it and then buy a lift or make something up for my big floor jack.
              Carb synchro setup: Not yet but its a "must have"

Bike specific tools.... I've got my tools, my fathers tools and my granfathers tools from both sides...I think I've got something that'll work.

As for how serious I am about tools.... I'm a hobbyist but I do all my own automotive work and take in projects and strays at times. And I put go fast bits on old Volvos. 8)

Thanks for the tips and ideas! This is pretty much what I was thinking but its nice to know I'm on the right track so far. What are some good sources for parts and tools online?

And what does one of these GS engines weigh anyway?

Mac

Comment

How about an impact screwdriver, for those stupid phillips (and I did say PHILLIPS) head screws. Also an inch lb. torque wrench

Comment

tools

voltmeter, especially for GS bikes with known electrical problems.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

what home shop is complete without a kegerator!!!

Comment

compression tester

Comment

valve adjuster tool for bikes with tappets, makes setting the valves much easier. Also Helicoil kit.

As mentioned earlier:

Synch tool, Carbtune II rules!
                        Impact screwdriver

and the Kegerator!

Comment

Figure on about 190 pounds for a chain drive engine, slightly less for 650cc and smaller.

Earl

Originally posted by Macmatic

And what does one of these GS engines weigh anyway?

Mac
                          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

O.K. Not trying to sound like a total idiot, get a good rubber mallet. You won't beleive how handy this can be. Also, don't forget the small stuff like contact cleaner and a wire brush. Great for all those many electrical connections!
                            1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                            The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Working...
                            X