Removing gauges from instrument cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing gauges from instrument cluster

I have a 1979 GS 750 that I'm restoring. I want to remove the gauges from the instrument cluster. The problem is that there is a knob that sticks out the left side. This "knob" reset a milage counter. How do I remove this knob?

I've posted an image here:

I think there is a little screw that goes inside the knob, look in there with a flashlight, or then again it may not be there, not sure really :? Can't you just pull it out?

Comment

I have 1979 and 1980 GS bikes, and have pulled trip mileage reset knobs off a few times times

The knobs are simply press-fit in place.

To remove the knob, you simply pull it straight out with your fingers.

If it won't budge by hand, wrap pliers with cloth to protect the knob, and pull the knob off with crescent-jaw locking pliers, with carefully set gap, so that you don't crush the knob, but still have lots of gripping pressure.

It has taken me more time to type these instructions, than it will take you to actually do the work!

Comment

Yeah, I know there is a simple answer to this. I have pulled on it but it didn't come out. I don't want to brake the thing off! I'll go out and give it another tug.....

Comment

Mine had a screw. look in the center of the knob. There may be a little cover that needs to come off to see the screw.

Comment

Working...
          X