82 gs1100e pops out of second

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs1100e pops out of second

82 gs1100e pops out of second BUT ONLY at like 8500 rpm, it holds till just before redline, then pops out not all the time but fairly often.

also will go to neutral when down shifting to 2ng at higher rpms.

this happens at random and happens on up shift whether i use clutch or not.

Kevin

worn engagement dogs, or possible bent shift fork.
    sorry, she needs to come apart.

Comment

not scared of taking apart, i am in wny, and have 4 months to deal with it.

kevin

Comment

I agree - rounded dogs or bent selector fork. Personally I wouldn't ride it at that high rpm until it gets fixed. Too easy to wing it way past redline if it pops out of gear.

Comment

Ditto, bent shift forks or worn dogs or both. Both normally caused by lots of hard shifting.

Comment

If your 3 dogs are worn just a little and the fork tips are worn too then that add's up against you and and you don't get full engagement. Don't forget that if the dogs are worn out then the dogears are worn too, so that's two gears needing replacement just to fix that gear. Heck even the pins on the shifting forks can wear on the shifting drum.

I find it odd that it only happens at 8.5K. Try keeping pressure on the shifter while in 2nd gear and see if it still pops out. Also check the mickeymouse linkage, I've never like it. You can also pull the clutch cover off and check part of the shifting drum assy.
            1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
            1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
            1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
            1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
            01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Id send the transmission to Fast By Gast Grand Island N.Y. and have it undercut no need to buy new gears

Comment

Working...
              X