GS1100GK seat question.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100GK seat question.....

I just picked up a 1982 GS1100GK. This bike has had the fairing and bags removed and basically set-up as a regular street bike. I don't have any real intentions of putting this stuff back on. My question is would the seat off an E model work on this bike?

Anyone??

Comment

Well, I have an 82 GK too, in need of a seat, and I've wondered the same thing. I second your question.

Of course, E and GK are two awfully different bikes. Probably not a lot of folks who own both. Maybe some who owned an E, then got older & wiser and moved to the old fart tourer. Now that I look at it though, you have some other bikes. Wouldn't an ES and an E have the same seat?

I had the same idea of dropping the fairing (I need the bags) that your previous owner did. How does this look? It looks like some of the hardware is welded to the frame.

And also, do you have the bags? If they are in good shape and black w/ gold pinstriping, would you like to sell them?

Comment

Will an E seat fit a GK....the short answer is NO.

They are substantially different, both visually and underneath, with different-shaped pans, and different locks.

That said, I have an E-model seat pan on my GS1100G. (the G and GK seat pans are interchangeable)

Using the E-pan required that the nose section of the pan be cut off and an extension of about 2 inches had to be welded in and the nose itself had to be re-shaped.

The E-model nose lock fitting had to be modified, and then a mount for it was created. ..more welding required

For the seat itself, I used a Saddlemen bucket style unit meant for an older GS850G. Not a perfect fit, as it is just a tad shorter in length than the original 1100G seat, but it works, and is comfortable.

It is winter, so you have some time before riding, and I would suggest looking for a used G seat pan, nless you are prepared to do a fair amount of metal work, plus add a new upholstery....although you can get that done by many automotive upholsterers.

No, I don't want any pictures of my welding job posted
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

trnpkroadwarrior1019

Wouldn't an ES and an E have the same seat?
          No. The ES is more of the sport bike variety. Far different than the regular model.

How does this look?
          Here is a link. Once there go to the "Projects/Toys" page and scroll down. The stock bars had been replaces with a "clubman" style.

And also, do you have the bags?
          No. I wish I did though, I'd restore the bike as a GK. I don't really care to go to the expense at this time to round up a fairing and bags (and all mounting brackets) so I am going to ride it as is. Just don't care for the "K" seat without the rest of the "K"!

argonsagas

Thanks! I didn't know nor do I have a regular model to make a comparrison myself. Sounds like I may just make a new seat from scratch.

Comment

Working...
          X