Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New rings and valves without removing the motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New rings and valves without removing the motor?

Hi all.
    I was going to buy a '79 GS850 from a guy but he was really in love with it and had sunk a bundle into it without getting it fixed. He had one when he was younger and had bought this one to fix 'n' ride.

Anyway, I said I'd take a look at it.

It's leaking past both the rings and the valves.
    Is there a way to lift the cylinders off without removing the motor or am I just going to have more trouble than it's worth trying it that way.

Thanks to all for any advice!!

p.s. Remeber Patti and post good thoughts to her.

p.s.s. I posted this into the wrong section.... I put it in tips 'n' tricks.

I've done it twice, 2 different GSs, so it's do-able...and wasn't too bad ....IMO

Comment

Re: New rings and valves without removing the motor?

Originally posted by dwarf8
      Hi all.
      I was going to buy a '79 GS850 from a guy but he was really in love with it and had sunk a bundle into it without getting it fixed. He had one when he was younger and had bought this one to fix 'n' ride.

Anyway, I said I'd take a look at it.

It's leaking past both the rings and the valves.
      Is there a way to lift the cylinders off without removing the motor or am I just going to have more trouble than it's worth trying it that way.

Thanks to all for any advice!!

p.s. Remeber Patti and post good thoughts to her.

p.s.s. I posted this into the wrong section.... I put it in tips 'n' tricks.
      It's no problem to do it with the engine in the frame.

Hap

Comment

Been there, done that, not a problem.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Great news!!
          Anything I should be looking out for??
          I'm pretty mechanical.
          Rebuilt a bunch of singles, a twin and a Honda 4 cylinder... loads of cars.

I'd rather learn from others mistakes at this point in my life rather than "boldly going.... " as I did when younger.
          Should I be taking pics and posting this job or is it pretty common?

Comment

If you don't want to split the cases, don't drop anything down the cam chain slot. Don't ask me why I say this.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Have four "U" 3/4" thick shaped wood blocks cut with the legs about 2" long and each leg 3/4" x 3/4" thick and the open space between them 3/4" wide.
              You "drop" them over the studs for the barrels to rest on when reassembling.
              That way, you will only need two hands instead of six. LOL

While you're there, replace the "O" ring seals around the center four studs.
              Replace the "O" ring seals around the base of all four cylinder barrels.
              I would replace head and base gaskets also, but your call.

When re-installing the camshafts and setting valve timing, install the cam chain tensioner before rotating the crank to check your setup. I did it four times before the "light" came on as to why I was off after rotating the crank.

Dont forget that little upside down bolt on the outside, front of the engine
              at the cam chain tunnel. :-)

Earl

[quote="dwarf8"]Great news!!
              Anything I should be looking out for??
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thank you, thank you, thank you all!!

I will be creating the wooden "extra hands" and looking for the little upside down bolt..
                I will make sure there is always a rag in place so anything I drop can be retrieved easily...and will keep my "pickle grabber" and magnetic pick up tool in easy reach..
                I will replace all gaskets, seals and "O" rings just like a real mechanic should.
                I'll take pictures as I go and you can all laugh because even with all this good advice, I'm going to do something really stupid.

Comment

hi guys
                  do u need to take the cam chain apart ? to do this job..

Comment

hi guys
                    do u need to take the cam chain apart ? to do this job..
                    Nope. You can remove the cams without breaking the cam chain, you just have to remove the chain tensioner. Then the head can come off, then the jugs.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thank you Jethro.....

Comment

Good on ya, Gum, for rescuing that poor neglected 850!

They're great bikes with a little care.

Here's some info I've put together that might help -- much of it is specific to the GS850:

I've got a whole folder full of photos of another GS850 rebuild (from Luke). I'm working on making them into a repair series, but let me know if you want to see something specific before it's posted.

Welcome!
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Earl, I'm having problems visualising this setup, got any pictures for us imaginatively challenged limeys?

Originally posted by earlfor
                          Have four "U" 3/4" thick shaped wood blocks cut with the legs about 2" long and each leg 3/4" x 3/4" thick and the open space between them 3/4" wide.

Comment

When you go to install the pistons into the barrels, the cylinders have to be parallel to the cases. If you have "U" shaped wooden spacers between the barrels and the case. it stays level so you can fit the pistons/rings. You'll be fitting 2,3 at one time and then 3,4 at one time. Any angle off parallel of the cylinders to the case makes it damn near impossible. Remember also, you will have to hold the cylinder head level (need two hands) fit two pistons and rings, (need four more hands). Use the blocks, you dont have enough hands. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Big N Daft
                            Earl, I'm having problems visualising this setup, got any pictures for us imaginatively challenged limeys?

Originally posted by earlfor
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Ahhhhh I see, nice one!

Comment

Working...
                              X