Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can CV carb diaphragms be removed from slides?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can CV carb diaphragms be removed from slides?

This is probably a dumb question, but I wanted to ask here before I screw anything up.

I bought a set of GS850 carbs cheap from eBay a while back that had been in a fire, mainly just to salvage what spare parts I could just in case I ever need them. They're the later CV style.

Only one carb (the #1 carb) was damaged at all in the fire, but they were all pretty corroded. The slides are all stuck, but I don't want to use any strong chemicals until I salvage the diaphragms. Three of the diaphragms are still good, and since they are over $100 each new, I'd like to keep them intact.

Is it possible to remove the rubber diaphragms from the slides? I've removed the spring clip inside the diaphragm, but I'm reluctant to pull and pry much on the delicate and horribly expensive plastic and rubber parts.

If the slides are integral to the diaphragms, anyone got any ideas for getting them unstuck?

Thanks!
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

you should check out the carb series on the homepage, on the left column. I believe they suggest a carb cleaner spray, and then use a wooden dowel inserted into the carb through the airbox side, and pry up against the slide, wood only, as to not damage the slide. I'm not sure how well it works, all my slides work wonderfully well , but obviously it works for some, good luck

Comment

the diaphrams are mounted to the slide with a plastic insert I would say you would ruin them trying to get them apart. You would have a better chance if you can get the slides out first If you want to try ?? Soak the slides with PB blaster & they should come loose. Then Support the underside of the plastic ring and press the assembly off. (a couple of sockets & C clamp) BUt since the slides are a different size I doubt they would fit. Check with Rob? www.motorcyclecarbs.com

Comment

Most carb cleaners warn that they will damage rubber and plastic, so I don't want to use those until I get the diaphragms out and/or give up on them totally.

Does anyone know for sure if PB Blaster will eat the rubber and plastic? It's hard to tell from the info on the can, which has 3,000 words of marketing fluff and exclamation points, but very little actual information.

So far, I've only used Sea Foam to clean the parts, since it's safe for fuel system parts, but it's not doing much good with the corrosion on the slides.

Maybe I'll experiment with the fire-damaged diaphragm and some PB blaster...

And yes, the carbs that are on my bike work perfectly. No condolences are needed. These damaged carbs are just a cheap way to stockpile some hard to find OEM bits and pieces for the future. I've already gotten my money's worth several times over, but salvaging the diaphragms would be even better.

One nifty detail is that the damaged carbs had never been opened before -- all the parts inside were original, and all the OEM screws were totally untouched.
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Carbs

Simply put, YES, you can remove the diaphragm from the sliders.
          There is a posting on diaphragms that I posted about a week ago.

Comment

Hi Phil --

I found your previous posting:

Very Very carefully begin to pull outwards from the nearest point to the middle.
            The plastic ring under the diaphragm does not come off.
            DO NOT PULL from the outer of the diaphragm as it will stretch and rip.
            Eventually one area of the diaphragm will release from the compressed area................... and there you have it! Patience is a must.......
            My only question is -- pull what? Pull on the diaphragm?

Are the diaphragms just squeezed between two plastic retainers at the top of the slide? There are no locating pins or adhesives involved?

Do the plastic pieces ever come off? If not, how do you get the diaphragms back on?

You can see I have a burning curiosity... [/quote]
            Eat more venison.

Comment

Yes, pull on the diaphragm, like I said.... very carefully from the inside(nearest to the slide) and eventually it will come out.

Comment

Thanks, Phil!

I'll give it a go (with trembling fingers) and report back...
                Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                X