valve cover gasket HELL!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve cover gasket HELL!!!!

has anyone first found a valve cover to fit right and second if one bolt stripped (was like that) how do i fix it,it's stripped in the head.....

its 84 gs750es from hell this week.....i had gasket in and started then after it ran noticed the gasket seap out alittle,no oil coming out but am concerned.........

First, yes, realgaskets.com has a nice rubber replacement gasket that is reusable. Second, looks like you have a helicoil job to do.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

You may be able to helicoil the stripped threads, I'm assuming it's one of the ones on top of the cam bearings. Those things strip out real easy. The gaskets seal up easier with a bit of hylomar on them, I actually use some gray rtv on the cover side to stick the gasket to the cover, then clean up any excess. Then use hylomar on the engine side to finish up the seal. I've found that by using the goop I can leave the bolts a bit looser, and don't risk stripping them out.

Comment

For things like a bolt hole for a valve cover hold down bolt that should not be tightened down with extreme torque anyway, I have "skinned" by with putting single tight wrap of teflon tape around the bolt, filling the bolt hole with J. B. Weld, smearing some onto the bolt (over the teflon tape) and pressing/threading the bolt into the head. Leave until the J.B. sets hard.
        Due to the teflon tape on the bolt, you will be able to unscrew it. The threads will be sufficient to get a good gasket seal. Just dont crank it down super hard. Snug will be enough.

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I had a rubber aftermarket valve-cover gasket put on that was garbage, and it split apart.

I replaced it with the OEM gasket kit, which was 90 dollars cdn. and theres a reason for this. it came with the valve cover gasket, the breather gasket, and the plastic stoppers on either sides of the engines behind the covers.

I used NO SEALANT when putting my gasket in. There is not 1 drop of oil leaking. When the Suzuki gasket comes into contact with oil, it swells, therefor producing a perfect seal between the cover and the engine block.

It is also precisely the right thickness, which is important for the free movement of tappets. If the gasket is too thin (i had a temporary one on there before) you'll notice a weird twirping-like sound, which is your valve-clearance being off. When I changed back to suzuki, the sound dissapeared immediately.

Even though it is quite expensive, I recommend the suzuki gasket. If you do buy it, DONT USE SEALANT! it makes things very difficult to clean next time round.

poot

Comment

My '83 also had a stripped valve cover bolt. I checked helicoils and of course it's a special and the kit was like $50 and came with 10 helicoils (I think it was 10).
            I had thoughts of using the JB Weld, but Not the way Earl mentioned. Man, that could have saved me time.
            I ended up taking a 3/8 stainless bolt, turning it down on a Lathe, putting in the correct metric thread in the center of it. I then opened up the hole on top of the cam bracket. I put a dap of JB Weld on the outside of the thread and screwed it in.
            So far, so good. However, not many people have access to Lathes and Mills.

Comment

Stop using those 1/2" ratchet sets

Comment

Suzuki gasket

I've used Suzuki gaskets and I agree they're way too expensive. Don't use any sealant, it just sticks the gasket to the head and cover and you have to scrape it off next time and spend ages cleaning up the surfaces. Last time I had the cover off, I even got away with re-using the gasket. It will start to fail and make a nice oil mist on your engine sooner or later but it kept me on the road instead of waiting for a part on order.

Earl's fix sounds great and I'll be trying that next time I strip a thread.

Comment

Poot Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:41 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a rubber aftermarket valve-cover gasket put on that was garbage, and it split apart.
                  Wow, Hap Call has a post in the Product Review forum that has nothing but praise for RealGaskets rubber gasket. You sure you didn't tourque it too much? I can't say myself, but I was going to try one this time.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

me and about 3 other chicago gs guys all use "real gasket" ( silicone reusable) and all love them. they all work very well with no leaks, they only split when you forget to read the instructions that say DON"T OVER TORQUE. just keep the valve cover bolts a little tighter then hand tight about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn more after hand tight and you should be fine. if you are worried about the bolts loosening then uses a little of the lowest strength thread lock. and depending on your bike the guy that sells real gasket will either have the breather gasket as well or he can make you both if you send your vavle cover to him.

-ryan
                    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x
                    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

i think i'll try on oem gasket,naaa by the way i didn't over tight did what the manual had for torque gasket was just junk and split in two,i'm gonna break the bank and bye good one thanks for the advice..

Comment

Re: valve cover gasket HELL!!!!

Originally posted by bradc
                        has anyone first found a valve cover to fit right and second if one bolt stripped (was like that) how do i fix it,it's stripped in the head.....

its 84 gs750es from hell this week.....i had gasket in and started then after it ran noticed the gasket seap out alittle,no oil coming out but am concerned.........
                        I've used a product call Thread Repair made by Loctite, which is a quick setting epoxy with a release agent for the very repair you're speaking. BTW, others who are advising you on the valve cover gasket must not realize that your bike has an "o" ring style gasket that is reusable.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
                          me and about 3 other chicago gs guys all use real gasket and all love them. they all work very well with no leaks, they only split when you forget to read the instructions that say DON"T OVER TORQUE. just keep the valve cover bolts a little tighter then hand tight about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn more after hand tight and you should be fine. if you are worried about the bolts loosening then uses a little of the lowest strength thread lock. and depending on your bike the guy that sells real gasket will either have the breather gasket as well or he can make you both if you send your vavle cover to him.

-ryan
                          I have a real gasket on my 7/1100 and it has worked great. I was very concerned about how loose the bolts had to be, so I used a small amount of "Blue" loctite to prevent backing out. Thousands of miles later and I'm totally satisfied.

Comment

I only use the Suzuki factory gaskets as the time and aggraviation avoided in doing the work twice to correct any substandard gasket problems is worth the extra $. The torque on these bolts is 9.5-11.0 lb-ft.

I also do not use any bond or locktite other than what Suzuki calls for around the half-moon ends. I check valve clearance every 3000 miles with the cams I am running and have been able to use the same gasket multiple times. The biggest problem is if you overtighten the cover you will either pinch the gasket causing it to leak or push the half-moon ends out of their sockets also causing leaks.

Good Luck, Ed.
                            1983 GS750ED

Comment

Earl's method would work really well with one of the RealGaskets silicone gaskets since they don't need to be tightened down very much. My gasket works great.

Comment

Working...
                              X