Carb synch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb synch

I would think this has been asked before but I'm new to the GSX 1100. Ihave striped the carbs as part of the winter lay up ( I live in Scotland )and use the carb rebuild pages ( very useful). I bought a set of four vacume gauges and have set the carbs up which has made a big difference to the bike as one of the carbs was way out. I set the carbs up to the same setting over all four but read latter that they should be set up in pairs middle two and outer two, with the middle two running at a lower setting than the outside two. My problem is I cant find what the difference should be ???? or is it down to what runs best.

I was told to get them all as close as possible.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I think I would agree with Jethro here.
      All the carb syncs that I have done are to set the throttles together. So when you come off idle, they come off at the same time. Having a set "higher" would mean the throttle plates are slightly more open on that set. I'd think that the performace would be off if they were set this way.

I've heard of syncing done with two vacuum gauges done this way. You sync a pair, sync the other pair and then sync together, seems a long process as you'd have to do it several times.

If you bought 4 seperate gauges, make sure they all read the same on one carb. If they are off, then you won't get them sync'd, unless you compensate for the difference.

Of course this is my 2 cents worth, I could be way off.... :roll:

Comment

I bought a Morgan Carbtune gauge. The instructions say that on some 4 cylinder GS models that the two inside carbs are set different than the two outside ones. This is of course assuming that you still have the stock airbox in place. I'm at work and don't have the specs on the difference, I know that several people on here could probably get that figure for you. Mike J

Comment

hi guys

On older Suzuki models with CV carbs (except GSX400F) the two outside carbs are set about 2.5 - 3.0cmHg higher than the inside pair. For specific model details consult your workshop manual or the Suzuki importer. (If the airbox has been removed set all the carbs the same).

Comment

Thanks all

This sounds about right I have a standard air box set up and the manual shows the the morgan gauge with the outside two collums higher than the inside two but there is no note of the difference.

It is running a lot better with the carbs all on the same setting and yes I did set all gauges from one carb before I started. Im going to keep the setting the way it is until I can get a good run out then set it two and two and see what the difference is.

Thanks again Keith S

Comment

Originally posted by GuMBall
              hi guys

On older Suzuki models with CV carbs (except GSX400F) the two outside carbs are set about 2.5 - 3.0cmHg higher than the inside pair. For specific model details consult your workshop manual or the Suzuki importer. (If the airbox has been removed set all the carbs the same).
              This agrees with what my Haynes manual says - it says that using the suzuki tool the inner carbs shoud be "half a ball" lower (it uses steel balls in tubes to measure vacuum) with the airbox installed, or all the same w/o airbox.

Nick

Comment

Mike J made a comment about a difference in ball height if you don't have stock air box/filter. What is the diffrenece if you have pods?

Craig[/quote]

Comment

Working...
                X