Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vaccum petcock convert without replacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vaccum petcock convert without replacing?

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to change the petcock on these Suzukis from vaccum to gravity,using the same petcock? I know I can get a Pingel, I'm just wondering if you can convert the one thats on it.

82 GS300L

Re: Vaccum petcock convert without replacing?

Originally posted by ZQJim
    I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to change the petcock on these Suzukis from vaccum to gravity,using the same petcock? I know I can get a Pingel, I'm just wondering if you can convert the one thats on it.

82 GS300L
    I converted mine to manual a couple of years ago. I disconnected the vacuum line from the petcock and plugged it to prevent intake leak, then use the Prime position for running. When I stop I turn the petcock to Run position which stops the flow. The down side is that I don't have a reserve so I closely monitor my fuel gauge and mileage. I don't think I did anything internally. :?

Comment

did converting it do away with reserve some how?

Comment

did converting it do away with reserve some how?
        Running on prime is valving directly from the base of the fuel tube, reserve is no longer an option.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

If you open it up and take the diaphragm and spring stuff out, you can easily convert it like I did.

Take out the selector barrel and figure out which of the two holes is used for "prime".

Fill that hole with JBWeld. Be careful to only fill that hole, and don't get any on the exterior of the barrel. Let dry overnight.

Put the barrel back in.

Use Form-a-gasket or something similar when you put the rear cap (vacuum cap) back on. This area will be flooded with gas after the mod.

Cap the vacuum line nipple with something fuel resistant. You could also stuff it full of JBWeld for a permanant solution.

Doing this mod will let you use the stock petcock as a manual system while still retaining the reserve function. Turning the switch to "prime" now shuts off the fuel. I have been using it this way for 3 years now with no problems.

Good luck....

Comment

Beautiful solution. :-) I will be stealing this.. ;-) I feel many of my problems are vaccum petcock related.....
            You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
            If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
            1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
            1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
            1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
            1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
            1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Thanks Tim(HISPL). Maybe over the winter I'll modiify mine per your instructions. It would be nice to have a reserve.

Comment

Awesome MOD idea HiSPL!!!
                wish I had seen this before I got my pingle so many months ago. Ah well, pingles rock anyway.
                Thanks though. This idea will benefit many up and coming Gs'ers.

Dm of mD

Comment

Yeah, I tried it as a last ditch effort before buying a pingle. To my surprise, it has worked out really well.

I guess I'm just super cheap because I will try to McGuyver anything before buying new parts....

Oh, yeah..... Don't forget to plug the vacuum port on your #2 carb.

Good Luck everybody

Comment

Thanks hispl thats exactly what I was hoping for. I'll be modding mine this weekend.

Comment

Another thing you can do is shorten the handle, file the stop so that you can turn the lever up -- OFF position

Comment

Thanks for the info Hispl, and sqdancer....

I hope to be doing this over the silly season as well as repainting the bike!

Comment

I'm going to jump in here and ask a few questions.(if I may)
                          What is the purpose of the vacuum fuel valve anyway?
                          Does this change effect performance?
                          And what should be done with the vacuum line at the carb after converting to gravity feed?
                          I've scrolled through a dozen or so tech pages and didn't see these questions asked...
                          The amount of info was geting me a little dizzy so I may have overlooked it or simply gave up looking for now...

SL

Comment

gravity petcocks never turn off unless you turn them off. vaccum petcocks have a diaphram which controls the actuall fuel valve. When you crank the engine in the morning, the vaccum developed opens this valve so fuel can flow. This means you never need to mess with the petcock. You just leave it on "run"

However, this doesn't always work the way its' designed. Smaller motors sometimes don't generate enough vaccum and the petcock can shut off during long durations of wide open throttle. Or the petcock can get gummy and not react well, or open fully.

They are a nifty item. But frequently are the cause of anoyance to riders. :-)
                            You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                            If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                            1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                            1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                            1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                            1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                            1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by snvlynch
                              I'm going to jump in here and ask a few questions.(if I may)
                              What is the purpose of the vacuum fuel valve anyway?

=== When working correctly automatically opens when engine is cranked and running then closes when engine is shut off.

Does this change effect performance?
                              ==== No

And what should be done with the vacuum line at the carb after converting to gravity feed?

==== line has to be plugged.

I've scrolled through a dozen or so tech pages and didn't see these questions asked...
                              The amount of info was geting me a little dizzy so I may have overlooked it or simply gave up looking for now...

SL

Comment

Working...
                              X