fork caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork caps

are there any fork caps from any other suzuki models that will fit an 81 gs 750ex without the air valves? i'm changing out the bars and tired of those things sticking up and getting in the way.... i don't use any air in the forks anyway.... thanks!

my '81 750 EX didn't have the air fittings...maybe someone added them?....if you can't find them on E-bay or wherever, (measure their size first!) and you don't mind them being painted instead of chrome, you could have the air fitting removed and it's hole welded closed....if you need to, send them to me and I'll weld them up and return, N/C

Comment

Most air valve are screw in pipe thread, so...why not just go purchase some pipe plugs? Get the automotive type that use and allen wrench, so you have the lowest profile you can get.

Kenny

Comment

thanks dave and kenny. do u know if all fork caps screw in the same way? i know there are different size forks but are there different threads ? like if i found 39 mm fork cap s ( i think thats the GS's size but not sure yet) from another suzuki that did not have those air valve caps sticking up what are the chances it would fit?

Comment

Good question, and no answer. If I was a betting man I would think if they were from the generation, and the same size tubes, they would fit.

How is that FJ going...I love mine! If I can be of any assistance on the FJ just drop a line. There is also a good forum on Yahoo for FJ owners, you can glean a lot of information there. I also have a few leftover parts, thus if you need anything just ask. I see your tag line (frustrating), and the FJ is a really simple motorcycle (easier to work on than the GS by a long shot).

Kenny

Comment

The earlier 750's 1977 did not have the air fittings

Comment

good information. thanks everyone! Dave thanks for your welding offer. not sure exactly what i'll do yet. but leaning toward finding caps off an earlier model. and soon!

that FJ is FINALLY running. i got the elec. issues sorted out. haven't yet got it on the road. but it goes thru all the gears and sounds great! (on the rear stand anyway.) i'm waiting for 3 brake rebuild kits then the big road test will come. i can't wait. but i'm not getting too excited as it seems like once i fix/figure out one thing along comes another!! the GS was a piece of cake compared to this one.

Comment

You will love the Big Fj's torquey engine. It doesn't matter which gear it is in, roll on the throttle and accelerate. Once you get it sorted out, I am betting it will be your favorite freeway/cruising rig. A bit large to throw around in twisties (compared to your other machines) but it is capable of holding its own!

Have you put a clutch slave cylinder rebuild kit in it yet? they are notorious for blowing these out without occasional maintenance.

Kenny

Comment

I have 2 80 GS1000G's one with air caps one without, the caps are not interchanagable as they are diffrent sizes even though the outside diameter of the fork legs are the same

Comment

thats what everyone talks about- the torquey FJ engine. i can't tell u how BAD i want to take that beast for a ride. i've read where it pulls even harder than the fzr 1000. which i find incredible as i recently found a 91 fzr, got it running in no time and that thing is one fast machine. .... its the fastest bike i have ever ridden, so if the fj is faster- i'm in for alot of fun. the fzr came as a whole bike. the fj came in pieces. missing pieces too. thats mainly why its been so frustrating.

Comment

This is my honest experience...

There is this corner on the way home, residential. If there is traffic, you take it tight and slow. I can leave it in 3rd (5 speed), drop from 35 to less than 10 (which brings it below operating idle), come through the corner roll on the throttle and it just starts to accelerate. No muss, no fuss.

My very good friend had a 1988 FZR1000 (which was quicker and faster than the 89 due to less weight). That thing was a bullet, bar none! It was like riding a very powerful 600, soft bottom end, huge rush on the top end, accompanied by wheelies!

The FJ will wheelie, but it is not easy and is kind of large to be picking up that much. It probably has 2* the low end power of anything I have ever rode. It just flat pulls in any gear, any RPM...flat impressive amount of grunt. The grunt makes it easy to be lazy on the shifting for it is almost an automatic around town. Don't get me wrong, wring it out and it flat flies (When people ask if it is a crotch rocket, I say "No, Its more or a Crotch Cruise Missle), but as most stories on it anymore say, it is a sport tourer. Experiences say its real top speed is anywhere from 148 to 158, and I think it still ranks pretty high in roll on power to this day (do some web searches). The 1100 and eary 1200 where still sport bikes, the later ones where more of the touring version (added a few pounds over the years).

Keep banging at it..and ask me any questions you have.
                      Kenny

Comment

Working...
                      X