how to spot an imposture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to spot an imposture?

Well I will be looking at a 1982 gs1100g tomorrow for possible purchase. The bike is stated to have 13k miles, my question is this.

With ebay and all the parts exchange possibilities these days, is there any real way to know that the instrument cluster is original and has not been swapped out for one with lower miles? Is there a vin on the guages or any other badging that will tell me that it matches the bike it is on?

My other question is, is it possible to mount an oil cooler on the above mentioned bike? What brand will work and what all is involved?

Thanks mucho and awesome site.

Really the only way to tell if the mileage is actual is to get a Carfax report. Even this is no sure thing. The Carfax report will cost you about $15-20 and will tell you the dates it was registered, and the mileage when it was registered for everyone who has registered the vehicle. Even then, the previous owners might have lied about the mileage upon registering, or it may have gone unregistered while still being ridden for some time.

I would get the report, and use some judgement upon inspection of the bike. Things I look at are as follows:

1. Look at the white paint inlaid above the starter button that says "START". If the white paint is still there and clean, that's a good thing.

2. Look at the bolts surrounding the clutch. A bike with 13,000 miles shouldn't have had any clutch work, so these should be untouched (as long as the bike doesn't have any mods)

3. Inspect the rubber on the footpegs. It shouldn't be excessively worn.

4. Take a close look at the key. It shouldn't have too much of the chrome plating worn off and the teeth should be fairly sharp.

Basically there is no badging or indications on the gauges that corresponds to the VIN# on the bike. Take a big, bright shop light with you and sit on the ground looking over the whole thing. Nuts and bolts will show signs if a wrench has been on them or not, and some specific areas are notable. If the swingarm has been off before, that's a red flag. If the rear wheel adjuster nuts are beat to heck, that's another red flag. Look at things closely like the exhaust manifold bolts. If they are beat up badly, the head has most likely been off the bike. There is no need for that before 13,000 in most cases. Look closely at the engine cases and the barrels. Do they look like there has been a lot of oil seepage? Look closely at the edge of the base gasket. If it is from the factory, the edges should be nice and clean, and you shouldn't see any sealant or copper paint seeping out. I wouldn't hesitate to bring a compression tester along and ask if the owner minds if you take a reading.

Unfortunately there is no science to this, it's just a feel type thing.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Carfax report may not work. When I bought my first GS in Wisconsin the title said the mileage, but it said "Mileage Not Required" or something to that effect.

It will vary state to state wether the report will help or not.

I say just go look at it and see what you think. Who cares what the mileage is if you like the bike?

~Adam

Comment

I say just go look at it and see what you think. Who cares what the mileage is if you like the bike?
        That is somewhat true. When a vehicle is over 20 years old, mileage no longer is a factor in the value of the bike. An 82 1100 with 13k might fetch only slightly more than the same model, in the same condition with 35k. Of course if it has super low mileage (under 3k), that brings the value way up.
        Currently bikeless
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
          If the rear wheel adjuster nuts are beat to heck, that's another red flag. .
          Thats for sure (if it has any rear wheel adjuster nuts it means someone has converted it from a shaft drive to a chain drive 8O )

The mileage might be actual (I bought my 1100GK with 11,000 on it a couple of years ago).
          Alot of things could still be original at 13K..look at the end of the clutch cable where it connects to the clutch lever...the original cable had a thin metal sleeve that fits over the cylindrical shaped cable nub on the end (the aftermarket cables I have seen don't have that sleeve).

Comment

Thats for sure (if it has any rear wheel adjuster nuts it means someone has converted it from a shaft drive to a chain drive )

My attention to detail has never been great!
            Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
            X