Suzuki GS450L Newbie - Where's the "Primer Postion"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GS450L Newbie - Where's the "Primer Postion"

Does the GS45L have a "Primer position"? I don't see it on the petcock, there is a "P" mode on the starter switch.

I don't know if the 450 has cv carbs, if it does not then it will just have on, off and reserve on the petcock. My old GSX400T only had gravity fed carbs (some, me included, say that they are a lot better than CV carbs). The P on your ignition is for your parking lights. When the key is in this position your steering lock should be on as well as your front pilot light and rear light. Hope this helps,

Comment

Re: Suzuki GS450L Newbie - Where's the "Primer Postion&

Originally posted by PsychoDad
      Does the GS45L have a "Primer position"? I don't see it on the petcock, there is a "P" mode on the starter switch.
      Must be something they added on a later model because mine doesn't have any markings, but goes like this left to right:

Lock-Off-Ignition-Off-Lock

Also on my 450L (though they all did but not sure now) has the petcock with On, Res and Pri. These petcocks are very ingenous in that they only let fuel through when there is vacuum on the intake when in the "On and Res." The Pri will allow free flow of fuel into the carbs with or without engine running.

You could possibly have the Petcock with only on and Res. With this one there is a Priming screw on the petcock you can use to prime it if the float bowls on the carbs are empty.

Comment

Re: Suzuki GS450L Newbie - Where's the "Primer Postion&

Originally posted by PsychoDad
        'P' on the ingnition will most likely be a stupid deal they put on these bikes. Basically its just like the "Lock" position with the addition of leaving your rear brake light on.... Not sure what that is good for, but scared me the first time I put mine in that position. My lettering was worn off my ignition before I bought it.

Comment

The parking light thing on the ignition is, according to the owner's manual, for parking on the street at night. My 1981 only has the three positions on the fuel petcock. I have found, that even after sitting for a while, as long as I remember to use the choke, the bike starts fine with the petcock in the run position. Check ebay for a used owner's manual. I got lucky and picked mine up for a buck. It actually had some good stuff in it that the Clymer and Haynes manuals didn't have. I also found a factory service manual on Ebay that has been a big help. Start tracking down the manuals, I have found them to be a big help even on the smallest of things.
          1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
          The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Working...
          X