GS450L Is there an "EZ" way to clean jets w/o carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450L Is there an "EZ" way to clean jets w/o carb

I have an 86 GS450L that prabably has dirty/clogged jets, can they be cleaned w/o removing carbs?

Not if you wanna do them right.....

Really, its not too bad pulling them off and giving them a good cleaning. I was pretty worried about mine, as I am kinda a novice, but it turns out they are quite straight forward. (Lucky us only 2 carbs ). Just get new O-Rings (I got mine at a Suzuki shop for a few bucks) as once you pop them of their holes out they'll be scarred if not completely torn.

I was able to tear both down (one at a time) in a few hours and let them soak for a loooooong time in carb dip and had them both together and on the bike the next day.

Comment

There is an easy way.......... and it may work if they aren't too gummed up. It won't hurt to try.

This is assuming your tank isn't rusty or anything like that.

Drain the tank of old gas. Then put a FULL bottle of FUEL INJECTOR cleaner (NOT CARB CLEANER - it will eat your rubber rings up) in the tank and fill up your tank completely with gas. Make sure the gas and cleaner are mixed well.

Next, start up the bike and let it idle for a bit. If it won't even start, and you're sure it's due to the carbs only - you DEFINETELY need to take the carbs off the bike and clean them manually. But if it at least starts up you should be fine.

Let it idle for about 2 minutes. Then ride. You will notice you won't be able to go over a certain RPM or speed since the jets are gummed up, so don't go on the interstate or anything like that. Ideally, start on some back country roads. You'll notice within about 5 or 10 minutes it will start spitting and sputtering, and then it will take off like a bat out of hell. Ride it around for about a good 30 minutes like this, and then take it through town, or anywhere where you get to stop and take off.......stop and take off....... stop and take off......... etc.

Ride it like this for about 30 minutes. Then take it on the interstate and ride it for about 30 minutes. Then just leave it set for a day, and ride it again for about an hour.

It worked on my carbs when they were pretty gummed up, and I hope it works for you. If it does not, don't just fill up another tank with another bottle of cleaner. You will definetely need to take the carbs off, disassemble, and dip them.

Anyhow, I hope this does work.

Good luck

Comment

Good Idea

I am pretty sure it's the carbs because it's running just like you described. I can't do much past 45 to 50. Is there any brand of cleaner that works best?

Thanks,

Clayton

Comment

I used Valvoline SynPower Fuel injector cleaner. I would imagine any kind would work just fine though.

Man I hope this works as well for you as it did for me. Mine was just as you describe - wouldn't do much over 40 or so. Did this and within 10 minutes it just all the sudden took off like a bolt of lightning. And idled WITHOUT the choke!!!!

Let me know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
          X