Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake caliper seals

I think I know the answer to this one:
    Do brake caliper seals (for the pistons) swell over time? I mean, even if the seals are not leaking, and they are visiably perfect, they might have swelled over the years and now are the cause of my brakes dragging?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Seals

Plus a good clean out wouldnt hurt

Comment

That's the thing. They were as clean as can be, but wicked stiff. It was a real bear getting the pistons out using compressed air (it was like a gunshot when the thing finally popped out).

I'm gonna try new seals anyway (might as well). Hopefully that will fix my dragging brakes.
      Currently bikeless
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
        That's the thing. They were as clean as can be, but wicked stiff. It was a real bear getting the pistons out using compressed air (it was like a gunshot when the thing finally popped out).

I'm gonna try new seals anyway (might as well). Hopefully that will fix my dragging brakes.
        I would rebuild the master cylinder. There is a tiny (almost microscopic) hole that is the return to the brake fluid reservoir...if it is plugged the brakes will drag. I use a cutting torch tip cleaner (the smallest one) to clean out this hole.

Hap

Comment

I would rebuild the master cylinder. There is a tiny (almost microscopic) hole that is the return to the brake fluid reservoir...if it is plugged the brakes will drag. I use a cutting torch tip cleaner (the smallest one) to clean out this hole.
          Is this in the bottom of the fluid reservior? Or do I access it through where the banjo bolts in? Do I have to remove the piston behind the lever?
          Currently bikeless

Comment

Is this in the bottom of the fluid reservior? Or do I access it through where the banjo bolts in? Do I have to remove the piston behind the lever?
            Yeah it's in the bottom of the reservoir, along the casting hump for the piston, which you may want to remove to avoid inadvertently damaging the seals or the piston itself... plus you need to clean any grunge out of the piston bore too, you may want to get a rebuild kit since you'll have it all apart anyhow, just lubricate the new seals with brake fluid before reassembly, but don't soak them for any extended length of time, as the brake fluid can swell the rubber enough to make assembly impossible

Comment

What can be rebuilt in the master cylinder? I looked on Bike Bandit, the schematic only shows one part for the piston in the master cyl., I didn't see any replaceable seals or anything.

Master Cylinder Schematic:
              Currently bikeless

Comment

What can be rebuilt in the master cylinder? I looked on Bike Bandit, the schematic only shows one part for the piston in the master cyl., I didn't see any replaceable seals or anything.

Master Cylinder Schematic:
                http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...e~GS1100ED.asp
                It's the cup set you want to get. Suzuki part number 59600-49830. $42.45 @ Bike Bandit, $44.99 @ Power Sports Pro, and $36.21 @ Ron Ayers.

Hap

Comment

my piston was realy stuck, had to use a grease gun to get it out, and then clean up the mess..lol

Comment

I used a bicycle pump, 5/16 fuel line and a banjo bolt cut off like a tube all clamped together and screwed into the caliper. Came out like a gunshot.
                    Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
                    X