Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a GS1000 fuel tank fit a GS550 bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will a GS1000 fuel tank fit a GS550 bike?

I have an 81 GS 550T and am looking at a fuel tank originally off an 81 GS1000. The tank's owner sent me pictures and the tank looks like mine and will supposedly fit an 81 GS850 also. Does anyone know if it will fit my 550? It's a good price but only if it will fit

No, it won't fit. It will be too long.

Comment

That wasn't what I wanted to hear, but what I needed to know. Thanks!

Comment

These kind of mods can be done though.

I have an 83 650GL, and I swapped out the stock 12L tank for a 16L tank off an 82 650G.

Yes, the bigger tank was longer, but that was solved by bolting in some extender brackets for the rear tabs and cutting the seat pan and foam down.

Now, if you are anal about not modifying your seat in order to fit a bigger fuel tank, then you are s.o.l., unless you want to pay to have your stock tank enlarged side to side.

Comment

How much longer is the bigger tank?

Comment

It will probably also have the wrong front mount points and be too wide in front so that your forks will hit it. These models have very exact dimensions for clearances. 550s and 650s are based on a similar platform, but again models may be completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by alan
              How much longer is the bigger tank?
              The 16L tank that I fitted onto my bike is 1" longer than the stock 12L tank. I took two small pieces of 1/8" steel bar stock and drilled a couple holes in them with the proper spacing front to back in order to match up with the tabs on the longer tank. I then bolted the tabs in to the existing tank bracket, and used the stock rear bolts/rubber bushings to bolt the tank onto the extended brackets.

Originally posted by Don Lobacz
              It will probably also have the wrong front mount points and be too wide in front so that your forks will hit it. These models have very exact dimensions for clearances. 550s and 650s are based on a similar platform, but again models may be completely different.
              The front of the 16L tank is actually narrower than the stock 12L tank. it is higher and slightly longer though. The tunnel is a bit narrower at the front though, so a little gentle persuasion is required to widen the front of the tank in order to fit onto the existing front mounting blocks. The difference isn't much, only about 3/8" - 1/2", but it's enough to make it a good tight fit when you get the tank on.

Once I get the tank off my bike to work on the valves, I'll take a pic or two of the two tanks side by side and post them up, and I'll show my extender brackets as well.

Owen

Comment

Working...
              X