Front Forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Forks

How do you strudy up your front forks? On my Gs650GL the least bit of weight on the front forks causes it to dive drastically. It is still quite rideable but they, the forks, should be stiffer.

Any ideas?

Progressive suspension fork springs worked great for my old 79 1000 I had.

your model

Dennis Kirk also has them.

Comment

They don't show the fronts(412 series are the rears) at that link Michael, I couldn't find them either. Most likely the springs need to be replaced.....but the damping, or shock absorbing, is done by the fork oil. Both should be checked, to verify condition....the springs should be the same length, if left stored on a sidestand the left spring can often compress to where it is 2-3 inches shorter than the right. If the springs are the same length, and you have the correct amount and weight of fork oil in each leg(very important), you can sometimes add a piece of 1/2" PVC conduit, 3-4 inches long to preload the springs and make them stiffer....if you need to replace the springs, I have a pair of Progressives from an 81 750 EX, almost new, that would most likely fit, for cheap.

Comment

Progressive springs are definitely better. In my case, I added a bit more preload and went to 20 wt. fork oil. Made a big difference in the fork action for me.

Comment

Working...
        X