k&n Air Filter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

k&n Air Filter question

I was wondering if I put a stock replacement K&N on my 83 GS550ES will I have to do carb rejeting and can rejetin be done with stock carbs and parts

Yes you will, but you may only need an adjustable needle, which the stock ones arent. You may be able to get away with just fitting a spacer.
    A K&N will flow more so you will need more fuel, it isnt heaps more so it could very well be within the adjustment range of the stock bits except raising the needle.
    Dink

Comment

Now when you say adjustable needle where do you get one of these and how do you fine tune it with out having to tear your carbs apart if you don't get it right the first time.

Comment

how do you fine tune it with out having to tear your carbs apart if you don't get it right the first time.
        You don't. If you change your air filter or exhaust, plan on getting very good at taking the carb rack out and putting it back in.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Because you have a 4 cylinder engine with only 2 carbs, I think there is enough room to pull the slides & needles without pulling the carbs.

Comment

Because you have a 4 cylinder engine with only 2 carbs, I think there is enough room to pull the slides & needles without pulling the carbs.
            You lucky duck! Your job will be easier than mine was.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

If you do install the K&N, you may be able to simply adjust the mixture screws out a little more to get the right mixture.
              Do what the plug readings tell you. Take readings when the throttle position is just above idle (low speed cruising), 1/3 throttle, and wide open. If the plugs look too light, you'll have to make needle and possibly main jet changes.
              Maybe a new stock filter would be better?
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
              X