Question - stock rear wheel size for the 1984 GS1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question - stock rear wheel size for the 1984 GS1150

Did Suzuki move to the 3.5 inch rear wheel on all 1150's or just the 85 and 86 models? Does anybody know for sure??? Thanks.
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

You gettin' an 1150?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

No - just looking for a larger rear rim.
      1982 GS1000S Katana
      1982 GS1100E

Comment

I believe (but I'm not certain) that the change was made either for the '85 model year onwards, or possibly for Canadian models (?)

The reason I think this is I live near the Canadian border, and I picked up a 17 x 3.50 GS1150 rim in a wrecking yard nearby. My buddy has an '84 GS1150ES, it has a 17 x 3.00 rim. He also has an '83 GS1100S Kat, fitted with a 17 x 3.50 GS1150 rim.

BTW, the GS1150 rim is a simple, direct swap onto the GS1100E. I know, I've done this on my '81 GS1100E, and my friend did it on his Kat. You can use the 1100 sprocket hub, and even use the 1150 'floating' brake rotor...same rotor diameter, rotor offset, and bolt pattern. A 140 tire fits nicely on both 3.00 and 3.50; you might even fit a 150 tire on a 3.50 rim without 'pinching' it too badly.

Ted

P.S. Yo, Jethro - I still have that piston kit...

Comment

Thanks for the info ronin!

PISTON KIT?? I am going to buy an 1166 10.25:1 between now and next fall for my 05/06 rebuild. What have you got? If Jethro passes on it i may be interested.

Pano
          1982 GS1000S Katana
          1982 GS1100E

Comment

It's an 1134cc Wiseco street kit...but it's a great deal (I think).
            Still listed in the 'For Sale' section:

I'm pretty sure Jethro was interested in it a while back...

Ted

Comment

I am going for the 1166 kit but thanks.
              1982 GS1000S Katana
              1982 GS1100E

Comment

Yeah man, that's a sweet setup, but my 83 1100E has awesome compression and runs strong. I should buy it for the future, but I have a lot of cash to spend on the 81 to get it up to snuff!
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

My 1150 runs a 3 1/2" x 18" rim stock 8O .
                  Dink

Comment

Same with mine Dink
                    I live in NZ but the bike was shipped over from Oz.
                    Is it just the Australasian bikes that have the 18 inch rear? :?

Comment

How do you measure the width of the rim? I measured my 82 1100E and it looks like 3 1/2 inches from outside edge to outside edge. The space the tire fits into is more like 3 inches as it is inside the outer edges.
                      1982 GS1000S Katana
                      1982 GS1100E

Comment

The rim is measured from the inside,bead contact to bead contact.Be carefull with this measurment,goof and you can have problems. Years ago I had PM make me a spun aluminum wheel for my Kat. They made it wrong TWICE.You could put the wheel and chain on ,but not the tire.They just refused to put the offset on it that I PAID FOR.

Comment

The wheel size should be stamped on the rim itself and easily visible. I would be willing to guess that you have a 2.5 or 2.75in stock as most of the old 1100's came with a 130 rear. The 3.5in rear and 140 tire are a perfect match. I have run Dunlop and Metezler rears in this size on my 750 with excellent results. Good Luck, Ed.

Comment

It is stamped 2.5
                            1982 GS1000S Katana
                            1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by elevenhundred
                              Same with mine Dink
                              I live in NZ but the bike was shipped over from Oz.
                              Is it just the Australasian bikes that have the 18 inch rear? :?
                              Yup 18" rear wheel was E24 (Australian market) only. Why I have absolutely no idea.
                              Dink

Comment

Working...
                              X