Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intake boots: O-rings? C-clips? What are these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake boots: O-rings? C-clips? What are these?

GSers -

I took two of my intake boots off to see what kind of shape the seals were in (I suspect them of leaking). On the metal part of the boot, there is a groove and a kind of c-clip (it looks like a miniature piston ring) in the groove. Does this somehow make a seal? Or is this bad engineering and should these be replaced with o-rings?

-Dom
    -82 GS1100GK

orings

Are you sure that your not looking at old and hardened orings that have split,

Comment

Bad:

Gooooood:
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

So those things are RUBBER?

Wow, I never would have thought they'd wear like that. They act like metal, though I guess if I actually tried to bend them they'd snap apart. Well, thanks guys!

Comment

Yep, those things are "O" rings and are SUPPOSED to pliable rubber. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by trnpkroadwarrior1019
          So those things are RUBBER?

Wow, I never would have thought they'd wear like that. They act like metal, though I guess if I actually tried to bend them they'd snap apart. Well, thanks guys!
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

When installing the new o-rings, apply some hi-temp' bearing grease to help them last. Replace the stock screws with Allens. Torque the manifolds to 6 ft/lb.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
              When installing the new o-rings, apply some hi-temp' bearing grease to help them last. Replace the stock screws with Allens. Torque the manifolds to 6 ft/lb.
              I'm getting ready to replace these o-rings, and I just want to be sure that this is the consensus on how to treat these o-rings as they go on the bike. Also, is there any kind of additional sealant that would/should go between the metal part of the intake boot and the cylinder head? When they came off the bike, there's a reddish-brown sort of glazed surface there, and I wondered whether that was a leak pathway, or the remains of some old sealant or whatever.

I just want to be sure I do this right the first time. Thanks!

Randy...

Comment

No sealant, just a light coating with a teeny dab of grease.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  No sealant, just a light coating with a teeny dab of grease.
                  Thank you very much...hopefully I'll have this thing back together by next weekend!

Randy...

Comment

Working...
                  X