Not So Simple ????'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not So Simple ????'s

Okay, so I've successfullyl rebuilt two carbs. I get to #3 and find that the float needle is frozen, preventing any gas to flow. I've since fixed the needle.

Now, my first problem. The jet pilot is stuck. I'm afraid to force it because I don't want to strip the head. What's the best way to get it out without damaging the passage? I'm planning on ordering a new one. Actually, two. Dipping it did not help loosen it up.

My next problem is with carb #4. The jet pilot is also frozen into the passage. But, it's head is stripped (my reason for ordering 2). Now the kicker, the air screw head is also stripped. I can't even get a screwdriver to work in it. I would like to dip the carb body, but I don't know what kind of mess I may be left with. The air screw has a tiny o-ring on it and will likely be melted in side the chamber. Also, where would I come across a new one. I've looked on BikeBandit.com and partsnmore.com and could not find one on either.

Thanks
    Brad tt

I had one stuck real bad in my carbs too. I would just try as hard as you can to get it out with a screwdriver, even if it strips all to heck. Then, take a center punch and punch right in the center of the screw head. I used a Dremel tool with the remote handle (one of the most useful tools I own) to drill a small hole where you center-punched. Then I used a tiny Easy-out tap to get the screw out. On another stuck air screw I used the Dremel again to grind out the screw slot head deeper. That kept me from stripping it and I got a lot of tourqe on it.

I have a new stock air screw and o-ring for the 81 1100 if you want. PM me your address and I'll drop it in the mail Monday morning.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

There's really no benefit to removing the pilot jet only to clean it. There's no gasket or o-ring to replace on it, so clean it thouroughly with carb cleaner and anything you can get down in there to 'poke' it clean.

~Adam

Comment

Ah yes, he's talking about the pilots, not the air screws. I'd leave 'em in too.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
          Ah yes, he's talking about the pilots, not the air screws. I'd leave 'em in too.
          No! I'm also referring to the air screw. It's really stripped on the head, so I'll probably destroy it removing it. PM'd ya!

Brad tt

Comment

You can try heating the local area of the carb body with a heat gun. (the kine used for paint stripping which blows air over an electric coil...no flame) The screws are brass and the carb body is aluminum. the aluminum will expand faster and more than the brass. The heat gun will heat the aluminum enough to burn your fingers, not enough to melt or warp the carb body. Try turning the screw out when the carb body is hot.

Earl

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
            Originally posted by Jethro
            No! I'm also referring to the air screw. It's really stripped on the head, so I'll probably destroy it removing it. PM'd ya!

Brad tt
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

For the air screw, I would try the heat first too. Turn the screw IN first and try to clean out the threads before turning it out. The sealant the factory uses is always the thickest near the head.
              If it's still stuck, this worked for another member recently.
              Carefully drill out a new slot about 1/8" deep. Drill two holes the same distance wide as the tool you'll be using. Then carefully drill holes side by side until all the material between is gone. It's quick and easy if you have the right bit and do it right.
              Always be careful if you think about hitting any parts on the carbs. They can crack.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Well it looks I need to get a heat gun! Now, how long should I heat the carb up for? And, since no one has answered this yet, can I dip the carb with the air screw frozen into it? Or should I try and remove it before the dip?

Thanks again!
                Brad tt

Comment

Brad,

I have a heat gun if you need to borrow one..............

Joe
                  IBA# 24077
                  '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                  '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                  '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

With a hot air electric heat gun, I dont think its possible to heat the aluminum to a point that you can damage it. Hot enough that if you spit on your finger and touch the carb, you will hear your finger sizzle. :-) I see nothing harmed by dipping the carb with the airscrew frozen into place other than the dip may not clean the passageway thoroughly.

Earl

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
                    Well it looks I need to get a heat gun! Now, how long should I heat the carb up for? And, since no one has answered this yet, can I dip the carb with the air screw frozen into it? Or should I try and remove it before the dip?

Thanks again!
                    Brad tt

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Also, I've had very good results with PB Blaster. Try spraying it a couple times a day for as long as you can wait. It's worth a try...........

Joe
                      IBA# 24077
                      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Might try heating it, soaking it with PB, heating and soaking over a few days.

Earl

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                        Also, I've had very good results with PB Blaster. Try spraying it a couple times a day for as long as you can wait. It's worth a try...........

Joe

Comment

Working...
                        X