Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear brake bleeding

I did some searching for my question, but I couldn't find anything

I recently removed my rear caliper, pistons, and brake line to clean them.
    I put fluid in the resivoir, put the cap back on, and pumped the brake, then with a tube connected to the bleeder valve, opened it, closed it, and then followed all the steps, but my problem is that it isn't sucking in any fluid from the resivoir, since I tore my brake system apart so much, do I need to prime the master cylinder?

With the bleeder valve open and pumping the brake, does it push any fluid out?

If no, then you have lots of air in the system or vapor lock.

Take the cover off the resovoir and try pumping it again, put some thing, like a cloth, over the open res, otherwise fluid will go everywhere.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Bleeding the rear brake

I recently had the same problem when overhauling the rear brakes on my Kat1100. What I did was loosen & tighten the point at which the brake hose bolts onto the upper end of the master cylinder (would have been easier if it had a bleeder valve up there); when fluid started to pump out, then I moved to the valves at the caliper end.
      In short, yes, it's because you've got a hell of a lot of air everywhere in the system. But once you start to get the fluid moving into the system again, it's all a piece of pie.
      Persevere!
      Mike.

Comment

It just take time. If you have the cover off of the res. the fluid will "squirt" from the res once you release the brake lever...therefor, release very slowly. I may take 20-30 attempts of compressing the master cylinder, holding(always applying pressure), opening up the bleeder, allowing air/fluid to escape, closing the bleeder, SLOWLY releasing the lever and starting over again. Once you start to get fluid out of the bleeder, keep a close watch on the res. as you don't want to introduce air into the line because you ran out of fluid. To ensure that you have totally removed all air, repeat process many times...refill res. 2-3 times. This will ensure that you have no air left. Brake fluid is cheap, so don't be stingy. Use DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid.

Good luck...Craig

Comment

a while back i had the same problem with the fj. no matter what i did or how many times i pumped- no brake fluid to the calipers. turned out the rear master cylinder was bad. a rebuild kit fixed it.

Comment

Have a hard time to bleed the rear caliper, I had a spare reservoir cover
            that i install a air fitting on it, put about 5 lbs of air in the system and
            was very ez to bleed then??

Comment

well I really hope I don't have a bad master cylinder, because the manual says I have to remove the rear wheel and swingarm to get it out, does anyone know an easier way to do this?
              no matter how many times I pump, with the resivoir cap on or off, it's not doing anything, emptying the resivoir or squirting fluid, nothing.

Comment

brake bleed

I had the same problem when I replaced my front brake line with a braided one. Couldn't get fluid flowing no how.
                Take the hose off the master cylinder and hold your finger over the port and pump the brake taking care to not get the brake fluid over anything valuable. It'll take a few pumps but when you feel pressure replace the line and continue downstream to the brale cylinder.....Mike

Comment

Mike is quite correct. If you do not feel any pressure after numerous attempts, you may need to rebuild the master cylinder. There are kits available, so no big deal..just money and time.

Comment

Thanks for all your helps guys, I got it figured out, after compressing the rear shock with a tie down strap, and then laying on the seat, I was able to get the pin out for the brake linkage, and remove the master cylinder.

apparently while I was waiting for my parts to arrive, the whole thing dried up and seized, after working some brake fluid into it, everythings working. now I just need to figure out how to force that c-clip back in.

Comment

Working...
                    X