Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No bubbles in brake line but no pressure either?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No bubbles in brake line but no pressure either?

Took a spill on my '82 650L yesterday (backwards downhill on ice) and had no front brake pressure when I righted the bike. The lever probably took some of the fall. The resevoir was nearly full and if you pump the lever a small amount of fluid will exit the bleed hole. The lever is a little off center.

What's happening? I searched the archives and saw one suggestion that the master cylinder needs to be primed. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

doylejj,

I'm not sure what's happening there, but if it was my bike I would be tempted to get another master cylinder, because if it's taken a hit and is now playing up, the master cylinder is about the last thing I would want to fail. Better to be safe than planted in the rear end of a truck! (Now there's a cheery Christmas thought.)

Mike.

Comment

I can tell you from my experience, that when I went down, the bottom of the master cylinder was cracked, and therfor didn't form a perfect seal with the metal form attached to the handlebar.

I replaced my master-cylinder-reservoir. If there is any amount leaking out of there, you should replace it. unfortunately, duck tape doesn't work.

p.s. im drunk

Comment

Update

I have the lever and master cylinder off now and the piston doesn't work smoothly at all. It catches and sticks with the lever fully closed. Of course there's no fluid in it right now--should the piston move freely without the fluid?

Comment

Further update

WD40 finally did it's magic on the bolt securing the lever, and when it was loosened, like magic, the cylinder started working smoothly, at least dry and off the bike. An inspection of the lever shows it was bent in the fall, which is why it felt off center. Can't quite put all this together to explain what's happening, but i'll put it all back on the bike tomorrow and see what happens. I have a stainless braided line to put on as well, but I think I'll keep the OEM line on til I get a handle on what's happening.

Comment

Just in case:
            Suzuki GS650 GS750 GS850 OEM Front Brake Master Cylinder

It currently has a Buy It Now price of $15

Comment

Working...
            X