86 GS550ES Air Screw Removal HELP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 GS550ES Air Screw Removal HELP!!!!

I'm stripping down and cleaning a set of carbs I've for come across for one of my 550s. I've got to a part of the process where I always seem to have problems, namely removal of the Air screws.

I can only remove one of the screws out of the four, the other three are stuck solid. Now every time I've stripped a set of these carbs for the first time I have this problem. Invariably I end up with the head of the screw totally carved up and a removal problem. :?

I've tried many techniques and I've always ensured that the screwdriver I use is suitable and in good condition but it doesn't seem to make much difference and the screwhead gives up the ghost.

Does anyone else experience this problem and if so what techniques do they use to avoid it and once the head of the screw is damaged what do they do to get that damned screw out without damaging the carb body!

Soak it with PB blaster or try heating the carb body. If you have the carb stripped- put it in a pan of boiling water. Try turning the screw in first

Comment

Thanks, but what is PB Blaster?

Comment

I managed to remove three of the screws from the carbs after much heat and backing on/off of the screws. Unfortunately it didn't work with the fourth and I ended up having to get the dremel out to recut the slot on the screwhead a number of times. i still ended up applying heat and plenty of penetrating oil (of various makes, can't get PB Blaster here), backing it off and on but I got there in the end. I've got a bit of damage to the area were the screw is but I can patch that up with some metal in a tube and it should be sorted.

Comment

As long as the threads are ok you are fine

Comment

Threads are ok, the damage is limited to a groove I had to to cut across the top about 2mm deep. I've screwed a new screw in no probs, mission accomplished.

This now gives me a spare set of carbs for playing around with that jet kit you posted Lynn

Comment

Working...
            X