Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna 3 on a GS(X)750ESD

Hi,
    I am a norwegian owner of a 85 GSX750ESD. I am convinced this is approx. the same as the bikes sold in the US as GS750ESD. As most GS-owners I have experienced the regulator/rectifier-problems. In my case, the overcharging lead to a malfunctioning CDI-unit. I got a plane electrician to resolder the unit and coat it with some sort of a protective coating. Since, I have not experienced trouble with the CDI-unit, but I do not trust it anymore. A new OEM-unit cost a fortune. I wonder if someone on this forum has used the DYNA3 part no. D33-2 (or any other suitable DYNATEK ignition system) on their GS750ESD, and if they have any experiences to share? In particular I wonder if the tacho will still work. I think it gets the signal from the spark plug no.1. In that case it should still work, but I am not sure. Is it necessary to change my ignition coils when installing DYNATEK? Some posts on this forum seem to hint this is at least recommended.

Sten
    Norway

PS! I just recently discovered this forum, and I am amazed. Almost every issue I have had with my bike is described somewhere on this forum. Now I know how to fix my tacho and get rid of my clutch rattle...and perhaps I should disconnect that terrible anti-dive thingy as well. Yesss! Thank you all!

hi
    My ignition unit did the same thing, i resolderd the unit and it worked for awhile before it gave up again, I replaced it with a second hand unit.
    Cheep easy fix.
    or you could try these guys

This website is for sale! erd.co.nz is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, erd.co.nz has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Re: Dyna 3 on a GS(X)750ESD

Sten, your 85 GSX 750 was manufactured with an electronic ignition that included an internal electronic advance function. Your bike does not have a mechanical set of advance counterweights on the right crankshaft end under the breaker plate. The Dyna III and Dyna "S" have to have a mechanical advance on the crankshaft as neither has an internal advance function. You can retrofit the advance counterweights/springs assembly from any early model GS. All models that originally had points ignition systems will have the counterweight mechanism. First year transition models going from points to electronic ignition still retained the counterweight mechanical advance also. It is a simple bolt in job. Very easy. So, with that addition, you can use either the Dyna "S" or the Dyna
      III.

I have never tried to power/drive the electronic tachometer from a Dyna "S" or a Dyna III. (the bikes I used those on did not have an electronic tachometer) I suspect you would have to drive the tach from a jumper wire from one of the crankshaft sensors/triggers.

If you are agreeable to spending the money, the Dyna 2000 is a lot better system, much more precise and a lot easier to set up. It has a built in electronic advance and does not use the mechanical unit the Dyna "S" and III require. Unfortunately, it cost about twice what the other two cost. I have used the Dyna "S", Dyna III and now have the Dyna 2000 installed on my 85 GSX1150/1100. I will not go back to using the other two.
      Also, the Dyna 2000 has dual electronic tach drive outputs, so all you will need to do is hook up a pulse wire to your tach just like it originally was wired.

I believe the original/stock Suzuki tachometer drive signal was two pulses per engine revolution and was an output from the electronic ignition module. I am not certain, but I do not believe you can drive the electronic tachometer from the spark plugs.

You can also install the mechanical advance unit, the points and breaker plate/condensors and convert to a points ignition system for very little money if desired.

The three Dyna systems above all use 3 ohm coils and all will work fine with stock coils. The aftermarket, high output coils do give a hotter spark, but they are optional.

Earl

Originally posted by Sten
      Hi,
      I am a norwegian owner of a 85 GSX750ESD. I am convinced this is approx. the same as the bikes sold in the US as GS750ESD. As most GS-owners I have experienced the regulator/rectifier-problems. In my case, the overcharging lead to a malfunctioning CDI-unit. I got a plane electrician to resolder the unit and coat it with some sort of a protective coating. Since, I have not experienced trouble with the CDI-unit, but I do not trust it anymore. A new OEM-unit cost a fortune. I wonder if someone on this forum has used the DYNA3 part no. D33-2 (or any other suitable DYNATEK ignition system) on their GS750ESD, and if they have any experiences to share? In particular I wonder if the tacho will still work. I think it gets the signal from the spark plug no.1. In that case it should still work, but I am not sure. Is it necessary to change my ignition coils when installing DYNATEK? Some posts on this forum seem to hint this is at least recommended.

Sten
      Norway

PS! I just recently discovered this forum, and I am amazed. Almost every issue I have had with my bike is described somewhere on this forum. Now I know how to fix my tacho and get rid of my clutch rattle...and perhaps I should disconnect that terrible anti-dive thingy as well. Yesss! Thank you all!
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thank you for the answers. Maybe I should try the Dyna 2000 system. A second hand unit costs easily 200$+ at the local second hand dealer. When I can get a new Dynatek unit at the same cost , the choice seems obvoius to me.

Well, in 4 months the snow should be gone. It's almost time to start fixing, repairing and polishing

Once again, nice forum guys!

Sten

Comment

Just so you know, the Dyna S works with the tach without any problems, that's the setup I'm using currently.

Comment

Working...
          X