Valve Knowledge needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Knowledge needed

I adjusted my valves last night and have some qusetions.
    The manual calls for .004"-.005". I have heard that looser is better, so I used the .005" and adjusted it snugly. Though, what I found was that all of them needed adjusting. I've only had this bike since june and it has 40k on it and I don't know that it's ever been done. Does this sound right?
    Some would accept the .004" but with force. Most wouldn't even accept the .004".

Next, I found about 4 or 5 that had the lock nut totally loose. 8O 8O
    What kind of trouble would that cause?

Lastly, I've little knowledge on valves. I mean I understand their functions, but was wondering what this (undersized valve clearance) would do to performance?

Thanks.

Valves adjusted too tight results in them not sealing all the way, which lowers compression and performance slightly. You may not notice it, but it should run better if everything is towards the looser side.

~Adam

Comment

valves

4 to five thou is fine with a slight drag on the gauge, remember that to tight can cause valve damage, but to loose can cause the valve end to be hammered to death, also check for wear on the end, some times if worn a lot can give a faults reading or feel on the gauge, I used too do the old cb750k's by feel cause .002 was a pain to set, and by feel was more accurate

Comment

Valve Clearances

On a GS750 EZ with 16 valve TSCC engine

Set INTAKES at 0.005 to 0.006

Set EXAUSTS at 0.007 to 0.008 (run hotter - valve stem expands a little.

I tried them at 0.004 and 0.005 intake/exhaust but found the cam follower dragged on the backside of the cam (you'll see lines) which meant the adjustment was too tight.

( This was not a soft spring problem )

I was running a pipe and 130 mains so bike was juiced up a little.

Comment

Ok, first time I was able to ride to check out the valve adjustment.

I've noticed that I now have a slight "Ticking" noise. More noticeable at low RPM's. It's cold out, so I just went on a short jaunt. Bike didn't get warm.

I thought I read where these engines are supposed to have ticking sounds at idle.

Is this normal, or do I need to readjust the valves using 2 feeler gages?

Thanks.

Comment

valves

recheck them remeber that the feel of the gauge sliding thru has to feel the same on bothsides of the rocker, and Iam sure that you have found out that after locking the set nut, that also will change the gap even if the adjust screw is not moved because when you lock it down it takes up the thread clearances, so its loser than when you checked while adjust
            ing, do not set these at 7-8 thou they will be to lose when the bike warms up also stem wear will give a faults reading if bad enough,

Comment

Here is the thread I found before that talks about the "Tick" of the TSCC engine.

If this is true, then I should be good, if NOT then I'll re-adjust them.

Thanks Gee-s-is

Comment

Working...
              X