fork seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork seals

Hello everyone, I see some flude on theoutside shaft of the fork of my bike, I am assuming that the seals are busted. Is there any special maintanace proceedure it the forks beside just replacing the seals, and where do you recomend to get the seals?

ard

I did notice fork seals on the Dennis Kirk web pages the other day. Price range anywhere from $8 a pair to $25 a piece. I don't have any experience with them though. I need a set myself, and don't know if it's smart to get the expensive ones or not.

????????????????

bob

Comment

Take a good look at your shocks, I thought I needed new seals on the left side, but closer inspection revealed that I also need a new shock. There is some scoring on the shock wall that was caused by what ever chunk of debris that got stuck in there and trashed my seal. So instead of wasting time on the seals I'm going to ignore it till I see some shocks on ebay for the beast.

Comment

Check the forks for pitting.If they're really bad sort that out first before replacing seals as they'll just go pop again very rapidly.If it's the case that the seals are just worn out,they're not that difficult to replace.I found that heating the slider gently over a camping stove (once stripped of course) makes the seal easy to pop out with a large screwdriver or small tyre lever.When you put the new ones in grease the outside,and drive them in both carefully and square with a socket the same outer diameter as the seal.Don't forget to consult your manual.

Comment

I always use OEM seals

Comment

I checked the forks to see if there is any pitting, I did not find any, it looked very clean. So do I get just seals and replace them, or there are other pieces to be replaced.

ard

Comment

Take a look at the shaft that goes into the lwoer leg.
              Is it shiny? if yes, then the forks wil lned a complete rebuild.
              The shaft is moving around and will need bushings replaced.

I used "never leak" fork seals and have been happy with them, about $25
              for the set.
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Hi Keith, can one see the lower part of the fork without taking the fork apart? and where do you get the seals that you mention, local or net?

ard

Comment

Working...
                X