Did I just injure my poor GS550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I just injure my poor GS550?

OK, I was silly and didn't check my oil level over the past month. I noticed my engine running kinda rough lately and when I checked today through the window no oil showed up at all. I'm hoping I didn't do too much permenant damage to my bike. Is there a small reserve even when the window shows no oil and do you think I did much damage to my engine?
    (there was no smoke as far as I can tell).

8O

Re: Did I just injure my poor GS550?

Originally posted by johnbot
    OK, I was silly and didn't check my oil level over the past month. I noticed my engine running kinda rough lately and when I checked today through the window no oil showed up at all. I'm hoping I didn't do too much permenant damage to my bike. Is there a small reserve even when the window shows no oil and do you think I did much damage to my engine?
    (there was no smoke as far as I can tell).

8O
    Top it off and run it. You may be lucky. These GS engines will take a lot of abuse. Also, I'd change the oil just to be safe. never know what kind of debris might have come loose.

Comment

Well, just lean the bike over and see if it comes up to the sight window to see how low it is. If the side of the bike touch's the ground before you see the oil then you might be in trouble.
      1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
      1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
      1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
      1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
      01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I would definitely suggest changing your oil

Although I doubt that there will be much repercussions for little oil, since you caught it before your bike was smoking, what will have happened, is since there is only little oil, it will reach higher temps, and break down faster. Also, when you decrease the quantity of oil, your increasing the amount of grit and dirty stuff in your oil.

I would really change it. Also, dont forget to change the oil filter, as it is equally as important!

Comment

Originally posted by RacingJake
          Well, just lean the bike over and see if it comes up to the sight window to see how low it is. If the side of the bike touch's the ground before you see the oil then you might be in trouble.

Comment

You should be okay... If you notice when you are filling your oil resevoir, just that last half quart or so is what shows up to the sight glass....

But from now on... check your oil more~!!!

Comment

as a resident expert on the oil issue I must ask, did the oil light come on at any time while running?
              what year model is the 550? (your signature line says 81 450)
              if the answer is no, then no real damage was done to the engine, you MAY have shortened the life of the stator.
              the stator is oil cooled, and it only gets what is splashed up on it, run with the oil level low and the stator does not get the amount of oil it needs to stay cool and it over heats and fails.
              you should always start out the day by doing a pre-trip inspection of the bike. walk around the bike, check the oil level watch for signs of any leaks, look for any thing out of the normal check the tire pressure (a very tiny leak will make a small motorcycle tire flat way quicker than a car tire)

Comment

leaking from clutch push rod

The oil light did not come on but who knows if it works or not , I've just had the oil changed by a local shop and had them clean/inspect the drive shaft etc. They told me the oil was coming from the clutch push rod so I ordered a new seal. Now the question is... how difficult is it to replace the clutch push rod seal? Do i have to rip alot of stuff of the bike besides the cover? I will be checking my oil everyday from now on.

Comment

You have to strip the clutch assembly out to remove the pushrod so you can remove the seal.It helps to take the front sprocket off to give you more space.You should be able to prise the seal out with a screwdriver,to replace grease up the edge of both the seal and the hole,and gently drive the seal home using a socket with the same outside diameter as the seal.
                  Always check your manual,good luck.

Comment

Oil light dint come on,, it should be ok.....good luck

Comment

You mentioned you don't know if the oil pressure light works..

Well, there's an easy way to tell. Turn your key to the on position but don't start the bike. Is it on? If it is, it works. If it's not, it doesn't.

All "idiot" lights should come on when the key is turned to the on position, and go off (assuming everything is OK), when the bike is started and running.

Comment

so if the oil light comes on it verifies that the actual oil sensor is working not just the light right?

Comment

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:16 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so if the oil light comes on it verifies that the actual oil sensor is working not just the light right?
                          Pretty much. If the sensor is bad, most likely the oil light would always be on- if the bulb itself works.
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                          X