Routing for Katana 1100 clutch cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Routing for Katana 1100 clutch cable

Anyone got a diagram for an 1100 kat clutch routing. I'm replacing mine and by the look of it the last time someone realy did some wierd twists and turns . Simple is best any tips?

cheers michael

Re: Routing for Katana 1100 clutch cable

I've always run my clutch cables in one arc to just below the forward tank mount rubber, and straight back, then one arc to the clutch mechanism.
    Straight as possible with as few gradual bends as possible has always worked for me.

Earl

Originally posted by Katana
    Anyone got a diagram for an 1100 kat clutch routing. I'm replacing mine and by the look of it the last time someone realy did some wierd twists and turns . Simple is best any tips?

cheers michael
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks Earl! The problem with the kat is the first large bend at the lever and the second through the carbies. It was way worse before though.
      thanks for the advice!

cheers michael

Comment

On my 1150, my clutch cable runs from the handlebar arcs through the headlight bracket (resting against the inside at the left turn signal mount, the curves downward just under the left rubber forward tank mount post, then straight alongside the center top frame and curves down between the #1 and #2 carbs, then right to the clutch actuator lever. I put one wire tie on the cable to hold it in place just aft of the coils.

Earl

Thanks Earl! The problem with the kat is the first large bend at the lever and the second through the carbies. It was way worse before though.
        thanks for the advice!

cheers michael

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Just read this post after doing just what it said

thanks again Earl

cheers michael

Comment

Cheers

Earl :-)

Just read this post after doing just what it said

thanks again Earl

cheers michael

Comment

So Earl, when you run your cable it is going under the left rubber bushing on the gas tank sitting on the bike? Do you have a bent metal tube coming out of the end of the clutch cable where it attaches to the lever?

The problem with the Katana is that the fairing bracket has a bar that mounts directly behind the headlight and mounts to the midldle of the steering head. If I'm not mistaken this bar gets in the way on full lock right turns. Also the plug in for the dash is right between this bar, so the wires have to bend around that bar. That bar is fixed ofcourse, so when the handlebars turns with the triples, I believe there is a binding problem with the clutch cable.

I've always had a hell of time routing my clutch cable on my Kat, but I don't think I go under the left gas tank bushing. Maybe Dink would have a suggestion from his bike?
              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

No, Carter, the clutch cable comes straight out from the handlebar clutch lever and goes through the top of the left headlight mount bracket and lays against the hold down nut for the left front turn signal, does about a 180 turn just above the lower triple tree and then runs aft slightly below the left front rubber mount for the gas tank.

If I am visualizing your kat correctly, my routing would run the cable over the top of the bar and make a 180 turn aft under the bar. I use one wire tie on the cable just behind the coil location. I do this so I can hold the cable in place with all the slack in the cable housing held forward. I too can have a binding problem on full turns if I dont have slack in the front half of the cable housing.

Earl

Originally posted by Carter Turk
                So Earl, when you run your cable it is going under the left rubber bushing on the gas tank sitting on the bike? Do you have a bent metal tube coming out of the end of the clutch cable where it attaches to the lever?

The problem with the Katana is that the fairing bracket has a bar that mounts directly behind the headlight and mounts to the midldle of the steering head. If I'm not mistaken this bar gets in the way on full lock right turns. Also the plug in for the dash is right between this bar, so the wires have to bend around that bar. That bar is fixed ofcourse, so when the handlebars turns with the triples, I believe there is a binding problem with the clutch cable.

I've always had a hell of time routing my clutch cable on my Kat, but I don't think I go under the left gas tank bushing. Maybe Dink would have a suggestion from his bike?

Comment

Earl

I just got back from the desert, so I couldn't respond.. So your thinking would then route it under the right gas tank mount after going over the bar?
                  GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I would give it a try. All you can lose is having the steering lock up, binding the front brake and causing you stoppie, flip over a cliff and into the path of an oncoming train. :-)

It has worked well on my 1150 so far.

Earl

Originally posted by Carter Turk
                    Earl

I just got back from the desert, so I couldn't respond.. So your thinking would then route it under the right gas tank mount after going over the bar?

Comment

I have the tank off my Katana. I'll look at it when I get home tonight. I just replaced the cable a couple months ago and when I replaced it I tied the ends together and fead the new one through. I will also try and post some pics. I know there is a wire bracket under the #2 carb that the cable rests in. My carbs are off right now so I should be able to get a good picture of it.

Comment

I took some pictures, but I am not able to post them (I don't know how).
                        If you want I can E-mail them to you.

The routing of the cable is from the lever there is a steel tube section of the cable housing. That steel bend tilts down slightly to rout the cable through the left side of the tripple tree. The cable then rides under the Steering lock and under the tank gromet. It then goes up slightly and then a slight bend to go through the frame just behind the coil pack. It then goes between #1 an #2 carb boots. There is a wire clamp on my #2 carb float bowl. From there it takes an easy bend over to the clutch. adjuster bracket.

Comment

Interesting. I'm just curious how other people do it. I've had the bike since 1993, but the Suzuki dealer sent me a 1100E cable. I've had clutch issues in the past that you've may have read about here before.

I'm currently using a 1000S cable which is shorter than both the 1100E and Kat cable.

Another poster suspected my shift forks are bent causing the clutch to drag, so now the engine is out of the frame to inspect these parts.

So you actually go underneath the bottom triple or beside the steering lock?

Comment

It routs under the top of the tripple tree on the left side of the flange.

I got my cable from my local Suzuki dealer and it is the correct cable for the Katana. I don't have the part number, since I threw the packaging and reciept away. They have it listed as a GS 1100s.

Comment

Working...
                            X