Locking tab washers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locking tab washers

Crikey, I used a flat-head screwdriver plus mallet to flatten the tab washer securing the countershaft sprocket! Serves me right for following the illustrations in my manual. Anyone have a better technique, one that doesn't inflict a death of a thousand cuts on tab washers? Any info would be greatly appreciated, as I've got more tab washers to flatten as I replace the rear sprocket as well.

Thanks,

Jack
    1978 GS1000 http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/P1010050.jpg

Re: Locking tab washers

I use an old blade screwdriver that I have ground the blade into a dull chisel.
    Use the screwdriver as a chisel with a hammer to get the screwdriver under the tab. Then use the screwdriver as a pry bar to bend the tab up about 30 to 40 degrees. Then use a 3/4" punch and hammer to flatten the tab against the nut. You will not have any marks or cuts on the tabs when done. Remove them the same way. On the countershaft sprocket, I flatten two tabs 180 deg apart. There is no need to flatten all of them.
    On the rear wheel sprocket, flatten one tab on each bolt. That is ample.
    Earl

Originally posted by jskellington
    Crikey, I used a flat-head screwdriver plus mallet to flatten the tab washer securing the countershaft sprocket! Serves me right for following the illustrations in my manual. Anyone have a better technique, one that doesn't inflict a death of a thousand cuts on tab washers? Any info would be greatly appreciated, as I've got more tab washers to flatten as I replace the rear sprocket as well.

Thanks,

Jack
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Heck i just use a set of craftman's self-adjusting pliers. Works like a champ everytime. Just pull and squeeze.
      1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
      1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
      1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
      1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
      01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Y'know, if it wasnt so simple and obvious, I would have thought of that too.

Earl :-) :-) :-)

Originally posted by RacingJake
        Heck i just use a set of craftman's self-adjusting pliers. Works like a champ everytime. Just pull and squeeze.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X