Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

some instrument cluster lights not working...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some instrument cluster lights not working...

all 3 meter lights are not working on my 1985 gs 550es, they were working and then the battery died and i had to jump it with my moms car and they suddenly dont work. the warning lights and gear indicator lights and high beam lights work . didnt blow a fuse, is it possible they blew as a result of the jump?

didnt blow a fuse, is it possible they blew as a result of the jump?
    Not only possible but probable. They are low wattage lamps that don't take much to burn out. You'll need to replace them. Don't know off the top of my head what size they are, you'll have to pull one out to see. I do believe you'll find you can get them at any auto parts store.

Comment

I don't have anything to back this up, but I always heard it was a bad idea to jump start a bike with a car. I understand you can do a lot of damage to the electrical system.
      Axel

Comment

I
        don't have anything to back this up, but I always heard it was a bad idea to jump start a bike with a car. I understand you can do a lot of damage to the electrical system.
        I've done it from time to time with no ill effects. Maybe I was just lucky. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to make a set of jumper cables with about a 20 amp fuse in the line to prevent an overload if you are going to make a habit of it.

Comment

I don't think fuse would help If it was necessary to jump start I would do it with the car turned off, use just the battery

Comment

With the Suzi's electrical system as it is, I go one extra step and disconnect the battery from the bike, then hook the cables up for 5 or 10 minutes. This usually charges the battery enough to start it. And at the price of staters and regulators.....!

Comment

Working...
            X