Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS Brainwave Tech's! Can you answer this question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS Brainwave Tech's! Can you answer this question??

Instrument clock change over.....
    I own a GS1000G (81) and on the speedo is 85mph, I just aquired a 140mph speedo.
    Everything seem to fit and bolt up fairly easy (it's from a 79 GS750)
    My problem is:- on my speedo (on the rear side on the inside) there is a slot that looks like a long (width) bulb of some sort which pushes in (like the instrument bulbs) I looked in the manual and all it says is that part is a "distance sensor"
    On the newly aquired 140 speedo there is no slot for this distance sensor!
    What is it? and can I use this clock without attaching this sensor part?
    Thanks guys. Phil.

The sensor is used to make your self cancelling turn signals cancel. You will have to remember to manually cancel the signal.

Comment

first ride the bike and see if the speedo is going to read correctly.
      when I did what you are doing the donor speedo from a 79 750 didn't read right.
      if it reads right, you can take the two speedos and measure the location of the opening and using a dremmel cut a matching hole in the 79 speedometer and install the sensor in it and your self cancel turn signals will work as designed.
      that item is a magnetic reed switch, inside the glass tube is a very tiny metal contact, as the magnet in the speedometer spins and it makes the reed contact move back and forth making contact with a fixed contact in the end of the tube.
      this gives the turn signal controller a reference signal so it knows how far you have traveled.

Comment

Speedo

Well thank you for your prompt return e-mail. I had no idea what that part was/is, it makes sense now.
        Will have to wait a few weeks though to try it out as it's too cold to paint the bike.
        But as soon as I try it I will post reply. Thanks again.

Comment

You may need to use the hub for the 750 that the speedo came from. (or like bike)
          It is possible it will have a differant gear ratio than the one on your bike
          and if so it will read wrong for sure. It will also mater if your front wheel
          is a differant size than that of the 750.

Comment

speedo

My front tire size 350-19, what is the 750????

Comment

Re: speedo

Originally posted by feelergaugephil
              My front tire size 350-19, what is the 750????
              The same. The speedo should work. I put one from a '?? 850 on my '78 750 and it works just fine. As I recall, I think I put a piece of tape over the hole in the side of the speedo that had to do the self-cancelling crap.

One difference though. One clock says "Suzuki" on the bottom, and the other one has the Suzuki "S." I was devasted.
              Kevin
              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

speedo

Thanks for all the tips, as soon as it's all ready I will get one of my co-workers to radar me at 30-40-50-and so on to see if it's all accurate as I don't need a speeding ticket!

Comment

Working...
                X